SENTENCE-COMBINING WORKBOOK uses sentence-combining techniques to help students develop confidence in their writing at the sentence level. Each unit in this text focuses on a specific sentence-level technique followed by a set of sentence-combining exercises involving a narrative story or factual topic. This organization provides the practice students need to communicate their ideas in clear sentence structures. The fourth edition features a new Phrases and Clauses unit, as well as updated exercises. The innovative story-telling approach that SENTENCE-COMBINING WORKBOOK uses ensures that students practice viewing individual sentences as part of a larger context while developing their sentence expansion skills.
Table of Contents
1. The Basic Sentence.
2. Phrases and Clauses.
3. Sentence Focus.
4. Joining Sentences with Coordinators.
5. Joining Sentences with Subordinators.
6. Joining Sentences to Show Comparison and Contrast.
7. Joining to Show Concession.
8. Showing Logical Relationships with Transition Words.
9. Modifying Nouns with Adjectives.
10. Modifying Nouns with Prepositional Phrases.
11. Modifying Nouns with Appositives.
12. Modifying Nouns with Adjective Clauses.
13. Modifying Sentences with Verbal Phrases.
14. Final Review Exercises.