Teaching Percussion, 3rd Edition
- includes 2-DVD Set
- Gary D. Cook University of Arizona
- ISBN-10: 0534509908 | ISBN-13: 9780534509903
- 496 Pages
- Previous Editions: 1997
- © 2006 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $142.50
TEACHING PERCUSSION, which includes a free 2-DVD set with over 7 hours of footage, continues to set the standard in percussion instrument methods texts. Providing a comprehensive introduction to every aspect of percussion education, technique, and performance, this text helps students develop musical understanding and performance skills. The text's consistent and detailed philosophy introduces students to a refined teaching methodology, as well as a greater understanding of the learning process, by integrating contemporary concepts about experiential awareness learning.
1. General Considerations and Prerequisites.
2. Basic Percussion Technique Through the Study of the Snare Drum.
3. Multiple Percussion.
4. Keyboard Percussion.
6. Bass Drum, Cymbals, and Accessories.
7. Percussion Instruments of the World.
8. Drum Set.
9. Marching Percussion.
10. Musical Interpretation of Percussion Parts.
11. Supplemental Playing Exercises.
12. Afterword � Future Trends in Percussion Education.
13. Appendix A � Orchestral Excerpts for Percussion and Discography of Percussion Music.
14. Appendix B � Select Percussion Solo and Ensemble Music.
"This text is the most thorough treatment of percussion pedagogy known to me. The thoughtful development of topics and the inclusion of progressive exercises and other supplemental materials are excellent."— Kurt Gardner, Kansas State University
"I tell my students that this book will be an invaluable reference source for them throughout their careers."— Benjamin Toth, The Hartt School, University of Hartford
"I have been using this book in teaching the percussion methods class since 1989, at first recommending its purchase and since 1997, requiring its purchase. I try to emphasize to these students that they should keep this book after the end of the term rather than sell it back to the university book stores, as it’s greatest value may be when they are no longer college students and are actually employed as music teachers."— John Dorsey, Eastern Michigan University
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title's "About" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
NOT AVAILABLE SEPARATELY, AUTOMATICALLY COMES PACKAGED WITH EVERY NEW COPY OF THE TEXT. The 2-DVD Set focuses on the essential ingredients in the playing material in each chapter. The DVD technology allows for the unique expansion of the marching and world percussion and drum set chapters.
List Price = $58.95 | CengageBrain Price = $58.95 | College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $44.25