MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION IN LAW ENFORCEMENT is a practical and straightforward book that focuses on law enforcement managers and supervisors, their jobs, and the complicated interrelationships between members of the law enforcement team and the communities they serve. The seventh edition has an increased emphasis on leadership and has been reorganized to begin with a general overview of the policing profession, thereby providing context for later discussions of the role of managers within the field. The text focuses on post-9/11 policing and includes research on the effects of 9/11 as well as discussion of data-driven policing (including CompStat policing), intelligence-led policing, evidence-based policing, and predictive policing. A new "Ethical Dilemma" boxed feature challenges students to think critically about the "gray" moral issues faced by supervisors every day. MANAGEMENT AND SUPERVISION IN LAW ENFORCEMENT, 7th Edition, presents a comprehensive overview of the responsibilities of law enforcement leaders, covering relevant topics ranging from the newest principles in policing to the exciting technological aids changing the face of law enforcement today--preparing readers to become tomorrow's leaders.
Table of Contents
Part I: MANAGEMENT, SUPERVISION, AND LEADERSHIP IN LAW ENFORCEMENT: AN OVERVIEW.
1. The Organization and Mission of Policing in the United States.
2. Management, Supervision, and Leadership in Law Enforcement.
Part II: LEADERSHIP FUNDAMENTALS.
3. Communication: A Critical Management Skill.
4. Decision Making and Problem Solving as a Manager and Leader.
5. Time Management: Minute by Minute.
Part III: BUILDING CAPACITY.
6. Staffing Your Agency: Hiring, Training, and Professional Learning.
7. Promoting Growth and Development.
8. Motivation and Morale.
Part IV: LEADERSHIP CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES.
9. Collaborating with Labor Management and Handling Complaints and Grievances.
10. Discipline and Problem Behaviors.
11. Stress and Related Hazards of the Job.
Part V: LEADING AND MANAGING AN ORGANIZATION.
12. Deploying Law Enforcement Resources and Improving Productivity.
13. Budgeting and Managing Costs Creatively in the New Norm.
14. Measuring Performance: Assessment and Evaluation.
Part VI: WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?
15. Learning from the Past; Looking to the Future.