Coauthors Martha Hilley and Lynn Freeman Olson have created an intuitive, flexible text that synthesizes keyboard skills, music theory, and creativity in every chapter, all while coordinating with theory curriculum.
Designed for the music major that must pass a piano proficiency before graduating, PIANO FOR THE DEVELOPING MUSICIAN, Sixth Edition, provides students with a wealth of performance music for honing their piano skills. Music from the Baroque period through the 21st century gives students a variety of compositions for practicing different performance styles. Authors Hilley and Olson also focus on improvisation, striving to encourage student creativity at the keyboard.
PIANO FOR THE DEVELOPING MUSICIAN, Sixth Edition, includes over 500 sound files in both MIDI and MP3 formats to help students learn individual parts of duets, multi-keyboard scores, and ensemble pieces; do self-assessment of their functional skill preparation; and aid in development of a more efficient practice process. In addition, coauthor Hilley has created a dedicated website with numerous additional materials as well as tutorials for text content.
Instructors will enjoy the pedagogical approach of PIANO FOR THE DEVELOPING MUSICIAN, Sixth Edition. This approach will help instructors build on the fundamental skills taught early in the book, helping their students become better-rounded musicians.
Table of Contents
Preliminary Chapter on Rudiments.
3. Root Position Triads.
4. Extended Use of Intervals, Pentascales, and Triads/Dominant Seventh.
5. Chord Shapes/Pentascales with Black-Key Group.
6. Scalar Sequences/Modal Patterns/Black-Key-Group Major Scales.
7. White-Key Major Scale Fingerings/Blues Pentascale and the 12-Bar Blues.
8. White-Key Minor Scale Fingerings/Diatonic Harmonies in Minor.
9. The ii-V7-I Progression.
10. Secondary Dominants/Styles of Accompanying.
11. Harmonic Implications of Common Modes.
12. Diatonic Seventh Chords in Major and Minor/Secondary Seventh Chords.
13. Altered/Borrowed Triads.
14. Altered Seventh Chords/Extended Harmonies (Ninth, Thirteenth).
Index of Titles.
Index of Composers.