Marital Therapy: Concepts and Skills for Effective Practice, 1st Edition
- Joe H. Brown University of Louisville
- Carolyn S. Brown
- ISBN-10: 0534527329 | ISBN-13: 9780534527327
- 352 Pages
- © 2002 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $146.25
This book is designed to help entry-level marital therapists learn the concepts and skills necessary for effective practice. The authors emphasize the concepts and skills necessary for effective practice and focus on the current trends toward accountability and the requirements of mental health care brought about by the managed care environment. Stressing the relational perspective, the text helps readers to learn how to develop multiple views of the problem and select appropriate skills.
PART I: FOUNDATIONS OF MARITAL THERAPY.
1. Dimensions of Marriage.
2. Models of Marital Therapy.
PART II: ASSESSMENT, CONCEPTS AND SKILLS.
3. Processing the Referral and Structuring the Initial Interview.
4. Assessing the Problem for Treatment Planning and Formulating Goals.
5. Developing Treatment Recommendations.
PART III: TREATMENT, CONCEPTS AND SKILLS.
6. Developing Rules for Negotiating Conflict.
7. Enhancing Communication and Problem Solving.
8. Building Trust and Intimacy.
9. Handling Unresolvable Problems.
10. Getting Support for the Relationship.
PART IV: EVALUATION OF TREATMENT OUTCOME.
11. Termination and Evaluation.
PART V: TECHNIQUES IN PRACTICE.
12. Case Studies of Special Populations.
"There is a fine balance between theory and practice. I especially liked the integration of case work, family therapy theory and other essential activities that a beginning therapist needs to consider such as the initial interview, the basic treatment processes and from a systemic perspective."— Bob Egbert, Southern Adventist University
"Refreshingly well-written text that illustrates concepts in marital therapy with numerous case examples. The book will be indispensable to the novice therapist, as well as the experienced and busy clinician who needs to update some aspect of their perspective on marital therapy…"— Thomas L. Millard, Montclair State University
"The manuscript is a good entry level overview of the field of marital therapy."— Clark D. Campbell, George Fox University