Law and Contemporary Corrections, 1st Edition
- Christopher E. Smith Michigan State University
- ISBN-10: 0495500429 | ISBN-13: 9780495500421
- 368 Pages
- Previous Editions: 2000
- © 2000 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $186.00
The first true text on the subject of corrections law and prisoner's rights, this book is an accessible yet comprehensive introduction to the subject. Rather than relying exclusively on cases to illuminate the content, Smith discusses and briefly excerpts case material to aid students not intimately familiar with legal language. Extensive pedagogy further aids in comprehension. Bringing both a legal and academic background to bear, Smith both writes for the needs of the student and the illumination and clarification of legal issues.
1. Law and Corrections.
2. Prisoners' Legal Cases.
3. Access to the Courts and Communication Rights.
4. Prisoners' Personal Rights.
5. Discipline and Due Process.
6. Use of Force.
7. Conditions of Confinement.
8. Probation, Parole, and Release.
10. The Law and Corrections Personnel.
11. Conclusion: Law's Impact on Corrections.