Existential Literature, 1st Edition
- Linda E. Patrik Union College
- ISBN-10: 0534567053 | ISBN-13: 9780534567057
- 208 Pages
- © 2001 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $131.25
This anthology with introductions presents the major figures of existentialism, including Dostoyevsky, Sartre, Beauvoir, Kierkegaard, and Nietzsche, through their literary rather than philosophical writings. This approach makes for an anthology that captures students' attention and helps them to understand the philosophers' views. Each selection includes an introduction that provides philosophical background, a section on the basic existential concepts covered in the reading, and insightful study questions.
Part One: Existentialist Views on the Human Condition.
1. Fyodor's Dostoyevsky's "Notes from Underground".
2. Jean-Paul Sartre's Nausea.
3. Jean-Paul Sartre's The Flies.
4. Albert Camus' The Stranger.
5. Albert Camus' "The Myth of Sisyphus".
6. Simone de Beauvoir's "A Very Easy Death".
Part Two. Existentialist Views on Relations with Others.
7. Jean-Paul Sartre's No Exit.
8. Simone de Beauvoir's "The Woman Destroyed".
9. Richard Wright's "The Man Who Lived Underground".
Part Three: Existentialist Views on Religion.
10. Friedrich Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
11. Søren Kiekegaard's Fear and Trembling.
12 Fyodor Dostroyevsky's "The Grand Inquisitor".
13. Franz Kafka's "Before the Law".