Introduce your students to the history, ideas, and diversity within Christianity with the help of this best-selling text by the highly respected Weaver/Brakke authorship team. This long-awaited fourth edition of INTRODUCTION TO CHRISTIANITY continues to lay a strong, practical foundation, interlaced with thought-provoking discussion and a glimpse into some of the latest Christian movements worldwide. The book’s balanced coverage brings to life the historical, cultural, theological, and social aspects of Christianity’s development.
You and your students focus on the significant movements, key individuals, and powerful controversies that have united as well as divided Christians throughout the decades and centuries. New and updated thematic Sidebars, a popular hallmark of this book, weave currency into the history with a focus on spirituality, people, concepts, and controversies, including a new set of Sidebars that focus on the human experience of the divine. The text engages students to discuss and reflect upon the challenges that Christians have faced throughout time.
Table of Contents
Part One: BIBLICAL AND HISTORICAL BACKGROUND.
1. God as Revealed in the Bible.
2. The Context For and Life of Jesus.
3. The Emergence of the Christian Church.
Part Two: HISTORICAL ROOTS OF CHRISTIAN DIVERSITY: FROM CONSTANTINE TO MODERN TIMES.
4. Orthodox Christianity and Roman Catholicism: From the Fourth to the Fourteenth Centuries.
5. Aspects of the Reformation.
6. The Reformation Continues: Christianity in the Sixteenth, Seventeenth, and Eighteenth Centuries.
Part Three: CHRISTIANITY IN THE MODERN WORLD.
7. Christianity and Modernity.
8. Modern American Christianity.
9. Worldwide Christianity.
Part Four: CONTEMPORARY CHRISTIAN LIFE.
10. Christians and the World.
11. Christians and Their Culture.
12. Contemporary Christianity.
Appendix 1: The Order of the Books in the Old Testament.
Appendix 2: Synopsis of the Books of the Old and New Testaments.
Appendix 3: Early Christian Writers.
Appendix 4: Ecumenical Councils.
Appendix 5: Creeds and Confessions.
Appendix 6: A Summary of Structural Arrangements.
Appendix 7: Ecumenism and the World Council of Churches.