PART ONE: ACADEMIC SUCCESS STRATEGIES.
1. DEVELOPING STAYING POWER FOR LIFETIME SUCCESS: NOTHING TAKES PLACE OF PERSISTENCE.
The Chief Characteristic of College & the Importance of Staying Power. Why Are You Here? Values & Your Reasons for College. What Is Your Fear? Anxiety as a Positive & Negative Motivator. How Could College Make a Difference in Your Life? The Strengths That Give You Staying Power. Setting College Goals from Life Goals. Applying This Chapter to Your Life.
2. BECOMING A MINDFUL LEARNER & THINKER.
Active Learning & Critical & Creative Thinking. Mindfulness & Mindful Learning: Taking Active Control. Critical Thinking: What It Is, How to Use It. Creative Thinking.
3. MASTERING INFORMATION LITERACY: CAMPUS RESOURCES, COMMUNITY RESOURCES, COMPUTERS & COMMUNICATIONS: A LOOK AROUND CAMPUS.
Physical, Emotional, & Spiritual Help. Other Kinds of Assistance. Activities & Campus Life. Personal Computers. Computer Software. The Internet & the World Wide Web.
4. LEARNING STYLES & MEMORY: REMEMBERING FOR RESULTS.
Different Kinds of Intelligence-Including Emotional Intelligence or "EQ." Four Types of Learning Styles: Which Fits You? Memory & Forgetting: The Importance of Managing Long-term Memory. How Lifestyle Affects Your Memory: What Hinders, What Helps. How to Improve Your Memory Power: Concerted Memorization. How to Improve Your Memory Power: Mindful Learning. Dealing with Learning Disabilities.
5. TIME MANAGEMENT AS A LEARNED SKILL: SETTING DAILY TASKS FROM LIFE GOALS. Getting Real About Studying. The Six-Step Program for Improving Your Time Management: Steps 1-3. Battling the Killer Time Wasters. The Really Big Time Wasters. Giving Yourself the Extra Edge: Developing Staying Power in Your Studying.
6. READING: TRAINING FOR RETAINING.
Reading for Pleasure Versus Reading for Learning. The Five-Step SQ3R Reading System. The Three-Step 3Rs Reading System. Dealing with Special Subjects: Math, Science, Languages, & Other.
7. MANAGING LECTURES: NOTE TAKING, CLASS DISCUSSION & INSTRUCTOR RELATIONS.
Lectures, Learning Styles, & Life. Making Lectures Work: What They Didn''t Tell You in High School. Optimizing the Classroom Game. Participating in Class Discussion & Overcoming Shyness. The 5R Steps: Record, Rewrite, Reflect, Review. Understanding the Instructor. Information Technology in the Classroom.
8. EXAMS: TAKINGS TESTS WITH CONFIDENCE & INTEGRITY.
Taking Charge of Taking Tests. How to Cope with Test Anxiety in the Classroom. The Six-Step Examination Approach. Mastering Objective Questions. Mastering Written Examinations: Short & Long Essays. The Important Matter of Academic Integrity.
9. WRITING & SPEAKING: MAKING POWERFUL WRITTEN & ORAL PRESENTATIONS.
What Do Instructors Look for in a Term Paper. Writing a Term Paper: Five Phases. Phase 1: Picking a Topic. Phase 2: Doing Initial Research & Developing an Outline. Phase 3: Doing Your Research-Using the Library. Phase 4: Sorting Your Notes, Revising the Outline, & Writing the First Draft. Phase 5: Revising, Finalizing, & Proofreading Your Paper. Term Papers, Web Research, & Cheating. Making an Oral Presentation.
PART TWO. PERSONAL SUCCESS STRATEGIES.
10. HEALTH & WEALTH: MANAGING STRESS, WELLNESS & MONEY.
Stress: Causes & Manifestations. Managing Stress. Alcohol: Are You Partial to Partying? Marijuana & Cocaine. Gambling & Spending. Looking Good: Weight & Energy Balance. Feeling Good: The Benefits of Being Active. Peak Performance with a Power Diet. Researching Time: Sleep & Rest. Money Management: Getting & Spending. Money Plans & Expense Record. A Crash Course in Money Handling. Financial Aid.
11. DIVERSITY & RELATIONSHIPS: SUCCEEDING WITH THE PEOPLE IN YOUR LIFE.
Today''s College Student Body: Traditional & Nontraditional. Race, Culture, & Stereotypes & Why Diversity Matters. The Multicultural "Salad Bowl": Diversity of Genders, Ages, Cultures, Races, & So On. Commuter Students. Intimate Relationships: From Being a Friend to Being in Love. Conflict & Communication: Learning How to Disagree. Assertiveness: Better Than Aggressiveness or Nonassertiveness. Unwanted Sex: From Sexual Harassment to Rape. Sexually Transmitted Diseases: HIV & AIDS. Some Rules for Safer Sex. Choosing Among Birth-Control Methods.
12. MAJORS & CAREERS: DETERMINING YOUR FUTURE.
Why Work. What Do You Want to Be After You Graduate? Tests to Help Establish Career Interests. The Job of Looking for a Job.
Sources & Credits.