Celebrating its fiftieth year in publication, GREAT POLITICAL THINKERS is an indispensable text for all students of political philosophy. This text contains portions of great works in their original form to whet the appetite and to encourage discussion within the classroom. By providing historical context and current scholarship, Alan Ebenstein builds upon the framework of influences that have shaped current political thoughts and theories.
Table of Contents
Part I: Ancient and Medieval.
1. Roots of the West.
2. The Greek Discover of Reason in Nature.
7. Stoicism and Epicureanism: Two Hellenistic Philosophies.
8. The Jewish Belief in One God, and Christian Love.
9. St. Augustine.
10. John of Salisbury.
11. St. Thomas Aquinas.
13. Marsilio of Padua.
Part II: Sixteenth Through Eighteenth Centuries.
15. The Protestant Reformation.
Part III: Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries.
29. Revolutionary Communism.
34. From Classical Liberalism to Democratic Socialism.
35. The Welfare State.