Business, Public Policy, and Society, 2e, 2nd Edition
- Lawrence M. Lesser University of Maryland
- ISBN-10: 0759338132 | ISBN-13: 9780759338135
- 646 Pages
- Previous Editions: 2000
- © 2006 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $267.00
The book not only addresses timely theories and concepts related to ethics, social responsibility and public policy, but it adds relevance through real-life applications in business. It contains exclusive interviews in which corporate and trade association executives explain in their own words how they manage their responsibilities toward government and society. The text also explains how companies and industries use technology and telecommunications to promote and defend their public policy and societal interests in the U.S. and around the world. Thus, the text also has a strong global focus, containing international perspectives and examples. The text uses theories, concepts and historical developments to help students build a foundation and develop an analytical framework for the practical applications and policy discussions that follow. And it includes cutting-edge topics in business ethics and society--presented in a pro/con format--that have been classroom tested to increase student interest, promote class discussion, and enable students to develop their critical thinking skills.
PART I. BUSINESS AND SOCIETY OVERVIEW
2. Social Responsibility and Performance
3. Ethics in Theory and Practice
Controversial Issue: Do the Potential Benefits of Nanotechnology Outweigh the Risks?
Controversial Issue: Should Government Restrict the Use of Funds For Stem Cell Research?
PART II. BUSINESS AND THE PUBLIC POLICY ENVIRONMENT
4. The Government Environment
5. Business and Public Policy
Controversial Issue: Should Restrictions on Prescription Drug Imports Be Lifted?
Controversial Issue: Is Legislation Needed To Reduce Air Pollution?
PART III. BUSINESS IN THE GLOBAL ECONOMY
6. The Global Business Environment: An Overview
7. The Global Business Environment: Foundations of U.S. Trade Policy
8. Global Business Environment: Competitiveness and Other U.S. Policy Concerns
Controversial Issue: Are Economic Sanctions An Effective Means of Promoting Human Rights and Combating Terrorism?
Controversial Issue: Should Government Limit the Outsourcing of Jobs to Foreign Countries?
PART IV. BUSINESS AND ITS REGULATORY ENVIRONMENT
9. Overview of Regulation
10. Economic Regulation
Controversial Issue: Should Phone Calls Made Over The Internet Be Regulated The Same Way As Traditional Telecommunications Services?
Controversial Issue: Is Further Legislation Needed To Protect Mutual Fund Investors?
PART V. BUSINESS AND SOCIETAL CONCERNS
11. Business and the Environment
12. The Business Response to Environmental Concerns
13. Business, Employees and the Workplace
14. Workplace Issues for the 21st Century: Employment Discrimination, Employee Pensions, Family Leave, and Executive Compensation.
Controversial Issue: Are Added Protections Needed Against Genetic Discrimination?
Controversial Issue: Is Legislation Needed To Protect Online Privacy?
PART VI. ADDRESSING GOVERNMENT AND SOCIETAL CONCERNS
15. Managing Government Affairs
16. Lobbying and Campaign Finance
17. Information Technology, the Internet, and Government Resources for Business
18. Corporate Governance
Controversial Issue: Should 527 Groups Be Subject To Regulation Under U.S. Election Laws?
Controversial Issue: Have Corporate Governance Reforms Stalled Because of Campaign Contributions and Business Lobbying?
PART VII. SUBSIDIES, TAX BREAKS, PROCUREMENT, AND BAILOUTS
19. Sources of Government Financing
20. Procurement, Bailouts, and Government Ownership
Controversial Issue: Should Government Subsidize Hydrogen Fuel Cell Technology?
Controversial Issue: Should Government Continue To Support Human Space Exploration?
Appendix A: The Ceres and CAUX Principles
Appendix B: Legislative Process
Appendix C: Congressional Budget Process
Appendix D: Glass Ceiling in Business
Appendix E: Pioneering Efforts to Overcome Glass Ceiling Barriers
Appendix F: Government Web Sites