This historical introduction to Buddhism presents students with an engaging exploration of the diversity of thoughts and practices of a wide segment of followers of the Buddha. It covers five main aspects of Buddhism: ritual, devotionalism, doctrine, meditation, practice, and institutional history.
Table of Contents
Map: The World of Buddhism.
Buddhism in India.
1. The Buddha's Awakening.
2. The Buddha as Teacher and Power Figure.
3. The Development of Early Indian Buddhism.
4. The Period of the Three Vehicles.
5. Early Medieval Indian Buddhism.
6. Late Medieval Indian Buddhism.
7. Buddhism in Sri Lanka and Southeast Asia.
8. Buddhism in Central Asia and China.
9. Buddhism in Korea and Vietnam.
10. Buddhism in Japan.
11. Buddhism in the Tibetan Cultural Area.
12. Buddhism Comes West.
An Overview of the Buddhist Scriptures.