Exploring School Counseling, 2nd Edition
- Tamara E. Davis Marymount University
- ISBN-10: 1285736168 | ISBN-13: 9781285736167
- 368 Pages
- Previous Editions: 2005
- © 2015 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $119.25
Emphasizing an action-oriented approach, this text concentrates on the practical aspects of school counseling by focusing on the roles of the counselor. Each chapter includes an excerpt from the author or a contributor that relates a personal experience in a school setting. These first- and second-hand accounts throughout the text support the theory, practice, and skills for school counseling and illustrate the many roles and responsibilities counselors assume in schools. EXPLORING SCHOOL COUNSELING, 2nd Edition features a greater emphasis on CACREP standards as well as the ASCA National Model and School Counselor Competencies.
1. School Counseling as a Career: A New Chapter in Your Story.
2. The School Counselor as Ethical Practitioner: Responsibilities to Students.
3. The School Counselor as Ethical Practitioner: Responsibilities to Others, Self, and the Profession.
4. The ASCA National Model: Foundation and Framework for a Comprehensive School Counseling Program.
5. Direct Student Services: Providing the School Counseling Core Curriculum and Counseling.
6. Indirect Student Services: Consultation, Coordination, and Noncounseling Roles.
7. The Culturally Competent School Counselor: Working with Diversity and Special Needs.
8. School Counselor Collaboration with School Personnel.
9. School Counselor Collaboration with Parents/Guardians and the Community.
10. The Effective School Counselor: Accountability in Action.
11. The School Counselor as Advocate: Taking A Stand.
12. The School Counselor as Leader: Promoting Systemic Change.
13. The School Counselor as Responsive Leader: School Violence Prevention and Crisis Intervention.
14. Becoming a School Counselor: Your Personal and Professional Journey.
"This text is truly refreshing and does what it promises-information and practice are integrated. The text is current and addresses contemporary school counselor issues."— LeeAnn Eschbach, University of Scranton
"I would describe this textbook as an excellent balance between contemporary School Counseling information and personal stories of life as a school counselor. "— Laura Gaudet, Chadron State College
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title's "About" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
An online Instructor's Manual accompanies this book. It contains information to assist the instructor in designing the course, including discussion questions, teaching and learning activities, learning objectives, and additional online resources.