The 4th Edition of PROFESSIONAL ISSUES IN SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGY AND AUDIOLOGY explores the most relevant and critical issues related to professional practice in the field of Communication Sciences and Disorders today. Written by a variety of highly regarded experts in the field, each chapter delves into a critical issue, such as research, education and health care policies, infection prevention, service delivery, multicultural populations, and more. Comprehensive in coverage, the topics provide an up to date view of the profession while preparing readers to earn their ASHA Certificate of Clinical Competence. In-depth discussions also address professional pathways and organizations, employment issues, and ethical-legal considerations to get readers thinking about career advancement and success in any setting.
Table of Contents
SECTION 1: OVERVIEW OF THE PROFESSIONS.
1. Professions for the 21st Century by Rosemary Lubinski and Melanie W. Hudson.
2. History of the Professions by Judith Felson Duchan.
3. Establishing Professional Competencies through Education, Certification, and
Licensure by Dolores Battle.
4. Professional Organizations by Sue Hale and Fred Bess.
5. Professional Ethics by Thomas Miller.
6. Professional Liability by Jennifer Horner.
7. International Alliances by Linda Worrall, Louise Hickson, and Anna O'Callaghan.
SECTION 2: EMPLOYMENT ISSUES.
8. Workforce Issues in CSD by Gail Brook.
9. Preparing for Employment by Rosemary Lubinski.
10. Building Your Career by Melanie W. Hudson and Marva Mount.
11. Professional Autonomy and Collaboration by Janet Brown and Jaynee Handlesman
12. Support Personnel in CSD by Diane Paul and Susan Sparks
SECTION 3: SETTING-SPECIFIC ISSUES.
13. Health Care Legislation, Regulation, and Finance by Steve White and Ingrida Lusis.
14. Service Delivery in Health Care Settings by Alex Johnson.
15. Service Delivery and Policy in Educational Settings by Charlette Green and Perry Flynn.
16. Service Delivery in Early Intervention by Cory Herd.
17. Service Delivery in Private Practice by Kenneth Wolf.
18. Strategically Promoting Access to Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology by Brooke Hallowell and Bernard Henri.
SECTION 4: WORKING PRODUCTIVELY.
19. Policies and Procedures by Paul Rao.
20. Documentation Guidelines by Barbara Moore.
21. Leadership and Communication Skills by Ann Kummer.
22. Infection Prevention by Rosemary Lubinski.
23. Child Abuse and Elder Mistreatment by Rosemary Lubinski.
24. Service Delivery for Culturally and Linguistically Diverse Populations by Hortencia Kayser.
25. Supervision and Mentoring by Melanie W. Hudson.
26. Telepractice and Technology by Carol Dudding.
27. Workplace Stress and Burnout by Rosemary Lubinski.
SECTION 5: EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE.
28. The Future of Science by Ray Kent.
29. Applying Evidence to Clinical Practice by Karen Brown and Lee Ann Golper.