Cases in Public Human Resource Management, 2nd Edition
- T. Zane Reeves University of New Mexico
- ISBN-10: 0534602401 | ISBN-13: 9780534602406
- 176 Pages
- Previous Editions: 1998
- © 2006 | Published
- College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $97.50
This collection of actual case studies (with only names changed) is appropriate for both graduates and undergraduates taking courses in public personnel management, human resources management, or employment relations. The book's 30 cases can be used as teaching tools in the classroom; by trainers with employees, supervisors, or managers; and for individual analysis and self-assessment. In this edition, revisions were made both for currency but also to emphasis more fully the social and ethical concerns of public managers as well as the impact of 9/11 on the field.
Part One: PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT.
1. Recruitment and Selection, Deer Valley Hires a New Coach.
2. Promotion, Tom Collins Doesn't Mix Well.
3. Job Evaluation, Some Counselors Are More Equal Than Others.
4. Compensation, Paying the Tucson Police.
5. The Fair Labor Standards Act, Flexing to Avoid Overtime.
6. Employee Benefits, No More Nittany Lions.
7. Merit System Standards, Hiring the Unqualified.
8. Personnel Records Management, Dissing the Border Patrol.
Part Two: EMPLOYMENT RELATIONS.
9. Collective Bargaining (Problem Solving), Handling the Hanford Patrol.
10. Collective Bargaining (Positional), Taking the Firefighters' Heat.
11. Labor-Management Relations, Holiday Time for Prison Guards.
12. Affirmative Action, An African American Woman Among the Good Ol' Boys in Indiana.
13. Sexual Harassment, Jailhouse Follies.
14. Ethnic Discrimination, Culture Clash at the Cancer Center.
15. Employee Due Process, Sergeant Preston of the Yukon Police.
16. ADA Concerns, Is Heavy Lifting an Essential Job Function?
17. Hatch Act and Partisan Practices, Political Shoot-Out in the Lone Star State.
Part Three: HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT.
18. Human Resources Planning, Smoky Bear Is An Underfill.
19. Performance Evaluation, To Protect and to Serve.
20. Employee Development and Training, Fearless Freddy Fuego.
21. Layoff and Reduction-in-Force,Eenie, Meenie-Miny-Mo.
22. Grievance Appeals of Disciplinary Action, Cattery Row.
23. Documentation in Discipline, Case of the Missing Portable Potty.
24.Safety and Security After 9/11, Going Postal?
25.Attendance Management, What's a Single Mom to Do?
Part Four: SOCIAL AND ETHICAL CONCERNS.
26. Off Duty Conduct, The Cop and the Prostitute.
27. Employee Dating and Privacy, The Case of the Cuddly Custodian.
28Managing the Older Worker, Billy Goat or Old Goat?
29. Religious Freedom at Work, Too Many Christmas Carols in the Winter Festival.
30. Ethics in HR, The Unsinkable Molly Brown.