Author Rick Harrington, licensed psychologist and professor, presents a thorough investigation of the mind-body connection as it relates to managing stress in this first edition of Stress, Health, & Well-Being: Thriving in the 21st Century. With an empirically grounded approach, the text integrates classical study of stress and health with findings from the burgeoning field of positive psychology. The result is a balanced coverage of the current scientific understanding of stress, enriched by research data analysis and practical applications for productive management of this pervasive force in our modern lives.
Table of Contents
Part 1: STRESS, HEALTH, AND POSITIVE PSYCHOLOGY.
1. Stress and Health.
2. Positive Psychology.
Part 2: THE BIOLOGY OF STRESS AND ILLNESS.
3. Stress and the Nervous System.
4. Stress, Illness, and the Immune System.
5. The Impact of Stress on Health Conditions.
Part 3: STRESS, PERSONALITY, AND EMOTIONS.
6. Personality and Stress.
7. Anxiety, Anger, and Depression.
Part 4: INTERPERSONAL AND JOB STRESS.
8. Interpersonal Stress.
9. Job Stress.
Part 5: EMOTIONAL AND BEHAVIORAL SELF-REGULATION.
10. Cognitive and Behavioral Approaches.
11. Physical Activity and Exercise.
Part 6: MIND-BODY STRATEGIES.
13. Self-Regulation and Relaxation Strategies.
14. Meditation, Yoga, and Biofeedback.
Part 7: GUIDELINES FOR STRESS MANAGEMENT AND WELL-BEING ENHANCEMENT.
15. Guidelines for Stress Management and Well-Being Enhancement.