Part I: INTRODUCTION TO WRITING.
1. Learning to Write.
2. What Makes Writing Effective?
3. Writing in School: An Introduction.
Part II: PLANNING AND DRAFTING.
4. Choosing Topics and Getting Started.
5. Thesis, Purpose, and Audience.
6. Style and Tone.
7. Organization: Mapping, Outlining, and Abstracting.
Part III: REVISING AND EDITING.
8. The Spirit of Revising.
9. Beginning, Ending, and Titling.
10. Peer Feedback.
Part IV: FORMS OF WRITING: THREE KEY GENRES.
12. Personal Writing.
13. Writing to Inform.
14. Writing an Argument, Stage 1: Thinking Critically.
15. Writing an Argument, Stage 2: Selling the Case.
Part V: ACADEMIC WRITING.
17. Using Sources.
18. The Academic Research Paper.
Part VI: A COLLECTION OF GOOD WRITING.