Whether you are a beginning or more experienced speech-language pathologist or audiologist, COUNSELING SKILLS FOR SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGISTS AND AUDIOLOGISTS, 2E can equip you with effective counseling skills needed to help your clients cope with the challenges of communication disorders. COUNSELING SKILLS FOR SPEECH-LANGUAGE PATHOLOGISTS AND AUDIOLOGISTS is the only text available that combines the insights of a well-respected clinical psychologist with the practical knowledge of a recognized speech-language pathologist to highlight the most important basic and advanced counseling skills. Written in user-friendly language, this text places the theories of counseling in real-life contexts that are applicable for today's speech-language pathologists and audiologists. Numerous, varied examples drawn directly from the first-hand experiences of the authors help you develop relevant and usable skills. Case studies and proven learning features refine your ability to manage even the most challenging emotions, behaviors, and situations.
Table of Contents
Part I: FOUNDATIONS OF COUNSELING SKILLS.
1. The Basics.
2. Theories Of Counseling And How They Relate To Speech-3. Language Pathology and Audiology.
4. The Therapeutic Relationship and Therapeutic Communication.
5. Interviewing and Therapy Microskills.
6. Multicultural Competencies.
7. Working with Families.
Part II: COUNSELING SKILLS FOR WORKING WITH SPECIFIC DISORDERS
COUNSELING SKILLS FOR WORKING WITH SPEECH, LANGUAGE, FLUENCY, VOICE, AND CLEFT LIP AND PALATE DISORDERS.
8. Counseling Skills for Working with Adult Neurological Disorders and Dysphagia.
9. Counseling for Adults and Children Who Have Hearing Loss.
Part III: THE THERAPEUTIC PROCESS WITH CHALLENGIN SITUATIONS AND BEHAVIORS.
10. Defense Mechanisms Relevant To Speech-Language Pathologists and Audiologists.
11. Working with Challenging and Difficult Emotional States.
12. Communicating Bad News and Working with Challenging Situations.
13. Working with Resistance and Anger.
14. Working with Crisis Situations.
15. Taking Care of Ourselves.