Developed to meet the demand for a low-cost, high-quality history book, this economically priced version of WORLD HISTORY, 8th Edition offers readers the complete narrative with only the most essential features, photos, and maps. From the dawn of civilization to the modern dilemmas of nation building in Africa and the Middle East, CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: WORLD HISTORY takes a fascinating look at the common challenges and experiences that unite the human past and inform the future. Authors William J. Duiker and Jackson J. Spielvogel's best-selling book features an easy-to-read narrative and uses images, maps, and dramatic first-hand historical accounts to give readers a powerful perspective on the human experience over time, and help them understand the course of world history and make connections across chapters.
Table of Contents
PART I: THE FIRST CIVILIZATIONS AND THE RISE OF EMPIRES (PREHISTORY TO 500 C.E.).
1. Early Humans and the First Civilizations.
2. Ancient India.
3. China in Antiquity.
4. The Civilization of the Greeks.
5. The Roman World Empire.
PART II: NEW PATTERNS OF CIVILIZATION (500−1500 C.E.).
6. The Americas.
7. Ferment in the Middle East: The Rise of Islam.
8. Early Civilizations in Africa.
9. The Expansion of Civilization in South and Southeast Asia.
10. The Flowering of Traditional China.
11. The East Asian Rimlands: Early Japan, Korea, and Vietnam.
12. The Making of Europe.
13. The Byzantine Empire and Crisis and Recovery in the West.
PART III: THE EMERGENCE OF NEW WORLD PATTERNS (1500−1800).
14. New Encounters: The Creation of a World Market.
15. Europe Transformed: Reform and State Building.
16. The Muslim Empires.
17. The East Asian World.
18. The West on the Eve of a New World Order.