Bowman/Kearney's STATE AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT, THE ESSENTIALS, SIXTH EDITION takes a positive look at state and local government, in a shorter and more streamlined approach than its full-length counterpart (State and Local Government 9781435462687). It espouses clearly and succinctly that government can be a force for good in society, while addressing critics simultaneously. Through engaging coverage of current events and an accessible writing style, the text fosters interest and involvement in state and local politics, policy, and public service.
Table of Contents
1. New Direction for State and Local Government.
2. Federalism and the States.
3. State Constitutions.
4. Citizen Participation and Elections.
5. Political Parties, Interest Groups, and Campaigns.
6. State Legislatures.
8. Public Administration: Budgeting and Service Delivery.
9. The Judiciary.
10. State-Local Relations.
11. Local Government: Structure and Leadership.
12. Taxing and Spending.