Practice safe procedures when responding to highway incidents with HIGHWAY SCENE SAFETY. A valuable learning tool for emergency response safety courses or as a handy reference manual for the field, this book focuses on operational guidelines necessary to conducting effective highway management while on the scene of the incident. Emphasizing the need to reduce line of duty deaths for all emergency responders, this book covers pre-planning, the national incident command system, governing laws, interagency communications, personal protective clothing, roadway considerations and other topics required for a safe response.
Part I: WHY DO WE NEED TO HAVE SAFETY ON HIGHWAY INCIDENTS?
1. Historic Incidents.
2. Governing Laws, Rules, and Standards.
3. Understanding safety at highway incidents.
4. Vehicle and driver reactions on the roadways.
Part II: TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT – THE HOW TO.
5. How does the Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Device Manual work for us.
6. Fundamentals of Traffic Management.
7. Roadway Characteristics.
8. Setting the scene.
9. Proper Signage.
10. Personal Protective equipment.
Part III: FLAGGING OPERATIONS.
11. Why train in flagging operations?
12. Standardization of Flagging Methods.
13. Conducting proper flagging procedures.
14. Equipment needed for operations.
15. Communications needs.
16. What is a flagger emergencies?
Part IV: PREPLANNING CONSIDERATIONS.
17. Working with different organizations.
18. Conducting Planning Meetings.
19. Detour Considerations.
20. Helicopter Ops and considerations.
Part V: INCIDENT ORGANIZATION – QUICK DOWN AND DIRTY OF ICS.
21. What is the National Incident Management System?
22. How to implement ICS at Highway Incidents.
23. Model Examples.
24. Inter-agency cooperation – the four C's – consensus.
Part VI: APPARATUS CONSIDERATIONS.
25. Apparatus Designs.
26. Placement of Apparatus.
27. Lighting considerations.
Part VII: SAFETY CONSIDERATIONS.
28. Safety Officer Responsibilities.
29. Responder early warning.
30. Responders/Traffic Rehab.
31. Secondary Crashes.
32. Quick clearance policy.
Appendix A – Glossary of Terms.
Appendix B – Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices – Standard.
Appendix C – Incident Checklist.
Appendix D – ICS Forms.