AFTER THE DIAGNOSIS: HOW PATIENTS REACT AND HOW TO HELP THEM COPE provides readers with practical, realistic guidelines that help patients harness both emotional and rational strengths as they communicate with healthcare professionals, gather information, evaluate treatment options, make informed treatment decisions, and manage their condition. AFTER THE DIAGNOSIS is the first and only book to help healthcare professionals, nurses, physician's assistants, nursing assistants, and those from other allied professions understand how newly diagnosed patients react emotionally.
PART I: DEVELOPING AWARENESS OF EMOTIONS.
1. Starting the Conversation About a Medical Diagnosis.
2. Recognizing the Initial Coping Styles.
3. Acknowledging Emotional Reactions.
4. Acknowledging and Confronting the Fear Factor.
5. Emotions and Healthcare Decision-Making.
PART II: Enhancing Coping Skills of Newly-Diagnosed Patients.
6. Helping Newly-Diagnosed Patients to Communicate with Healthcare Professionals.
7. Encouraging Patients to Gather Information.
8. Developing a Support Strategy with Patients.
9. Coping with Affects on Self Image.
10. Reconnecting with a Sense of Meaning.
11. Communicating with Family Members and Caregivers.
12. Creating a Vision for the Future.
13. When the Diagnosis Involves End-of-Life Issues.
PART III: TAKING CARE OF OURSELVES AS HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS.
14. Recognizing Our Own Emotions as Healthcare Professionals.