Learn to effectively organize and evaluate school counseling programs with DESIGNING AND LEADING COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAMS! Based on the guidelines from the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), National Consortium of State Guidance Leadership, and other highly recognized organizations, this counseling text focuses needed attention on the school counselors’ role in leadership and advocacy. Each chapter ends with reviews, questions, assignments, and cases that reinforce the concepts presented in the text.
1. Introduction to the Design and Leadership of Comprehensive School Counseling Programs.
Part I: THE CONTEXT OF COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAMS.
2. Education Today: The Context of Comprehensive School Counseling Programs.
3. Multicultural School Counseling: Helping Students Develop in a Diverse Society.
Part II: LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT OF COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAMS.
4. Models for Comprehensive School Counseling Programs.
5. Organizing Comprehensive School Counseling Programs.
6. Factors Influencing School Counselors' Role Assignments and Intradepartmental Relationships.
7. Evaluation, Accountability, and the Data-Driven Programs.
8. Leadership in Comprehensive School Counseling Programs.
9. The Management and Leadership Skills of Effective Program Leaders.
10. Advocacy Competencies and Processes.
Part III: THE COMPONENTS OF COMPREHENSIVE SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAMS.
11. Responsive Services: Responding to Students' Immediate Needs.
12. Educational and Career Planning: Helping Students Prepare for the Future.
13. The Guidance Curriculum: Meeting All Students' Developmental Needs.
Part IV: TECHNOLOGY AND THE FUTURE OF SCHOOL COUNSELING PROGRAMS.
14. Using Technology to Strengthen School Counseling Programs.
15. The Future of Comprehensive School Counseling Programs and the Profession: Some Predictions.
Appendix A: ASCA National Standards: Conducting A Program Audit.
Appendix B: ASCA National Standards: Competencies and Indicators.
Appendix C: ASCA National Standards: Developmental Crosswalking Tool.
Appendix D: ASCA National Standards: Curriculum Crosswalking Tool.
"School counselors in training and even school counselors in current practice can benefit from not only the clear presentation of school counseling program models, but especially the overview of evaluation, as well as the strategies for advocacy. The text has the potential to significantly improve the quality of school counseling programs across the country."— Chris Wood, University of Arizona
"Strengths of this book are that it presents major school counseling models, presents the political/historical context for the present crisis in education and school counseling, offers detailed recommendations for organizing and evaluating a school counseling programs, and presents up-to-date discussions of important topics related to school counseling programs."— Tom Batsis, Loyola Marymount University