Nursing Leadership and Management: A Practical Guide provides brief yet wide-ranging content on core leadership and management principles and applications. Written by an experienced leader in the nursing profession, the book addresses the challenges you face today in your interpersonal and therapeutic relationships. Current trends, such as the rise of the nurse entrepreneur and the use of magnet hospitals, are presented in a concise, inexpensive, and easy-to-understand format. Key terms, summary points, review questions, and critical thinking questions help you review and retain information. This compact, self-paced resource covers the same broad content areas as larger texts, but in a more succinct, economical, and logical format.
PART I: INTRODUCTION TO NURSING LEADERSHIP
1. What is Leadership?
2. What is Management?
3. Leadership vs. Management
4. A Positive Definition of Power
5. Accountability in Nursing Leadership
PART II: PRIMARY SKILLS FOR THE NURSING LEADER
6. What is Communication?
7. Communication Skills
8. Decision-Making and Time Management Skills
9. Change Management Skills
10. Conflict Resolution Skills
11. Team Building Skills
PART III: PUTTING THE PRIMARY SKILLS TO WORK: STRATEGIC ORGANIZATIONAL ROLES FOR THE NURSING LEADER
12. Managing First-Line Patient Care
13. Strategic Thinking to Improve Patient Care Outcomes
14. Managing Patient Care and Outcomes Through Improving Organization Quality
15. Managing and Supporting Excellence in Staff Performance
16. Nurses as Professional Leaders Inside and Outside the Health Care Organization
PART IV: THE HEALTH CARE ENVIRONMENT AND ITS IMPACT ON NURSING LEADERSHIP
17. The Current Healthcare Climate…and Into the Future
18. Nursing Leaders Influencing Politics and Acting as Patient Advocates
19. Nursing Leadership and Collective Bargaining
21. Current and Future Opportunities for Nurse Leaders
PART V: LEGAL AND ETHICAL ASPECTS OF NURSING LEADERSHIP
22. Legal Aspects of Nursing Leadership
23. Ethical Issues in Nursing Leadership
PART VI: PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER AND BECOMING A NURSING LEADER
24. Top Ten Ways to Become a Nursing Leader