THE PRACTICE ENVIRONMENT OF NURSING: ISSUES AND TRENDS takes a clear and frank health policy approach as it offers relevant concept discussions for the future RN to apply in a professional role. With the contributions from expert clinicians, administrators and educators in their respective fields, this book covers everything that is needed for the successful transition from student to registered nurse. But these discussions go beyond the clinical experience, encouraging exploration of the larger social context that forms, molds, and impacts nursing practice. Innovative, current chapters include Health Disparities, Insurance, and Health Policy, as well as vital information on taking the NCLEX Exam, workplace safety and much more.
PART 1: PAST TO PRESENT IN THE PROFESSION.
1. The current state of the nursing discipline.
2. Evolution of the medical and allied health professions.
3. Progression of the nursing field: Past and present.
4. Nursing workforce issues.
5. Where are all the nursing faculty?
6. The newest nursing specialties.
PART 2: THE ENVIRONMENT THAT INFLUENCES NURSING CARE.
7. Policy: Assessment, development, analysis and evaluation.
8. Health policy.
9. The political influence on the nursing profession.
10. The financial health care environment.
11. Insurance – and its effects on health care in the U.S.
12. Cost, access and quality: Critical health care issues.
13. Information and life long learning.
14. Evidence-based practice.
15. Trends in workplace safety.
PART 3: TRANSITION AND GROWTH.
16. The successful mentor / mentee relationship.
17. The nursing role in the next decade.
18. Test taking strategies, including NCLEX, GRE & certification exams.
19. Transitioning from student to professional nurse.
20. Achieving life-work balance.
21. Health literacy.
22. Advocacy in the public arena.
23. The practice environment: Anticipating the future.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title's "About" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
Free Online Companion offers Links to websites in the book, student directed Learning Activities for students, Additional case studies, and additional online resources (as applicable).