Developed to meet the demand for a low-cost, high-quality history book, this economically priced version of WORLD HISTORY, 8th Edition offers readers the complete narrative with only the most essential features, photos, and maps. From the dawn of civilization to the modern dilemmas of nation building in Africa and the Middle East, CENGAGE ADVANTAGE BOOKS: WORLD HISTORY takes a fascinating look at the common challenges and experiences that unite the human past and inform the future. Authors William J. Duiker and Jackson J. Spielvogel's best-selling book features an easy-to-read narrative and uses images, maps, and dramatic first-hand historical accounts to give readers a powerful perspective on the human experience over time, and help them understand the course of world history and make connections across chapters.
Table of Contents
14. New Encounters: The Creation of a World Market.
15. Europe Transformed: Reform and State Building.
16. The Muslim Empires.
17. The East Asian World.
18. The West on the Eve of a New World Order.
PART IV: MODERN PATTERNS OF WORLD HISTORY (1800−1945).
19 The Beginnings of Modernization: Industrialization and Nationalism in the Nineteenth Century.
20. The Americas and Society and Culture in the West
21. The High Tide of Imperialism.
22. Shadows over the Pacific: East Asia Under Challenge.
23. The Beginning of the Twentieth-Century Crisis: War and Revolution.
24. Nationalism, Revolution, and Dictatorship: Asia, The Middle East, and Latin America from 1919 to 1939.
25. The Crisis Deepens: World War II.
PART V: TOWARD A GLOBAL CIVILIZATION? THE WORLD SINCE 1945.
26. East and West in the Grip of the Cold War.
27. Brave New World: Communism on Trial.
28. Europe and the Western Hemisphere Since 1945.
29. Challenges of Nation Building in Africa and the Middle East.
30. Toward the Pacific Century?
Epilogue: A Global Civilization.