Offering concise coverage of essential job-hunting and career strategies, this flexible, how-to book can supplement any business course or serve as the foundation for a career development class. The Sixth Edition continues to focus on real-world applications through experiential exercises and hands-on activities designed for individual or group use. New material in this edition describes the latest online job and career development online sites and how to use them best. New chapter-ending Success Stories focus on individuals who've used their initiative to transition from one career to another. The authors employ a casual, student-friendly tone.
Table of Contents
Part I: DEVELOP YOUR STRATEGY.
1. Planning Your Job Search.
2. Conducting a Self-Assessment.
3. Researching Careers.
Part II: CREATE YOUR JOB HUNTING TOOLS.
2. Preparing Your Resume.
5. Writing Cover Letters.
6. Obtaining References.
7. Building a Portfolio, Personal Website, or Blog.
Part III: HUNTING FOR AN EMPLOYER.
8. Finding Potential Employers.
9. Using Social Media in Your Job Search.
10. Considering Non-traditional Options.
11. Job Hunting in Tough Times.
Part IV: LAND THE JOB.
12. Filling Out Job Applications.
14. Evaluating Job Offers.
15. Learning Your New Job.