Part One: FUNDAMENTALS OF THE COUNSELING PROCESS.
1. Some Perspectives on Effective Helping.
2. Understanding Counseling as a Process.
3. Building the Counseling Relationship and Facilitating Initial Disclosure.
4. In-Depth Exploration.
5. Commitment to Action and Termination.
6. Ethics in Counseling.
Part Two: COUNSELING STRATEGIES AND TECHNIQUES.
7. Assessment and Diagnosis in Counseling.
8. Structuring, Leading, and Questioning Techniques.
9. Working with Ambivalent, Indifferent, and Oppositional Clients.
10. Major Theories of Counseling.
Part Three: ADAPTING THE COUNSELING PROCESS TO SPECIFIC POPULATIONS.
11. Working with Clients in Crisis.
12. Issues in Human Diversity in Counseling.
13. Working with Children and their Parents.
14. Working with Older Adults.
A. Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice, ACA.
B. Ethical Principles of Psychologists, APA.
C. Listing of Related Codes of Ethics.
D. Outline for Writing a Counseling Session Critique.