Written by two renowned presidential scholars, this comprehensive, best-selling text examines all aspects of the presidency in rich detail. With a special emphasis on policy, the new edition surveys the most up-to-date scholarship on the topic, and includes an examination of the midterm presidential election. Taking a theoretical approach, the authors use engaging analysis and timely, fascinating examples to view the presidency from two theoretical standpoints—the president as "facilitator," and the president as "director of change."
Table of Contents
1. Presidential Leadership: An Introduction.
2. The Nomination Process.
3. The Presidential Election.
4. The President and the Public.
5. The President and the Media.
6. Presidents and their Advisors.
7. Presidential Decision Making.
8. The President and the Executive Branch.
9. The President and Congress.
10. The President and the Judiciary.
11. Domestic Policy Making.
12. Budgetary and Economic Policy Making.
13. Foreign and Defense Policy Making.
Appendix A: Methods for Studying the Presidency.
Appendix B: Non-electoral Succession, Removal and Tenure.
Appendix C: Provisions of the Constitution of the United States that Relate to the Presidency.
Appendix D: 2012 Electoral and Popular Vote Summary.