Covering the complex topic of game interface design, GAME DEVELOPMENT ESSENTIALS: GAME INTERFACE DESIGN, is back with an all new Second Edition. This comprehensive introductory text immerses readers in the foundation, theory, and practice of interface creation, while including interviews with working professionals, examples from every gaming era and many genres, and hundreds of screenshots from contemporary games. Also featured are an expanded practice section with a wide variety of real world design examples, coverage of interface design for mobile and motion-sensing devices, multiplayer games, and much more. Readers will explore everything from the history of game interface design and basic design theories to practical strategies for creating winning, interactive interfaces and user experiences.
1. History: how did we get here?
2. Concepts: what are the possibilities?
3. Platforms: setting the stage.
4. Genres: choosing a direction.
5. Control: empowering the player.
6. Feedback: informing the player.
7. Process: making it happen.
8. Analysis: putting it together.
9. Future: where are we heading?