Thoroughly updated with the coverage of the 2008 elections, the Fifth Edition of CALIFORNIA GOVERNMENT offers a balanced exploration of the institutional and behavioral aspects of the state's political foundations. Not only does this text fulfill the state politics requirement of the Cal State University system, but its comparative perspective and attention to issues of ethnicity make it a valuable complement to any general government text. Pedagogical features include a glossary of terms specific to the state of California, chapter-opening epigrams, and an extensive Notes section at the end of the text.
1. "America, Only More So".
2. The State Constitution and "Hybrid Democracy".
3. Public Opinion and the Media.
4. Political Parties.
5. Campaigns and Elections.
6. The State Legislature.
7. The State's Plural Executive Governor.
8. Courts, Constitutions, and Corrections.
9. Local Governments and Tribal Governments.
10. Financing California Government.
A Note on Sources.