Get the full picture of politics in the Middle East with THE POLITICS OF THE MIDDLE EAST! With a readable, concise, and easy-to-understand writing style, this political science text helps you gain a coherent picture of the region through country case studies and historical review. Case study topics include the influences of tribalism, kinship, and the Islamic faith as well as an understanding of the region's political uprisings, religious significance, and petroleum resources that make it crucially important to the rest of the world.
1. Introduction: Continuity and Change in the Middle East.
2. Egypt: The Tortuous Road to Democracy.
3. Isreal and Palestine: One Land, Two Claimants.
4. Syria: The Politics of Minority Rule.
5. Saudi Arabia: Modernizing a Tribal Monarchy.
6. Traq: Chaos and Democracy in the Land of Milk and Honey.
7. Iran: Islamic Governance in Action.
8. Turkey: Middle Eastern or European?
"In the 14 years that I have taught this particular course, I have utilized a number of basic texts, but Palmer’s book has been the first book for which I have been truly happy with and perhaps more importantly, for which students have offered their best reviews in year-end evaluations."— Robert J. Bookmiller, Millersville University
"The three greatest strengths of this work is its readability, its coverage of a wide amount of material in a concise, but understandable manner and its use of country case studies."— Robert J. Bookmiller, Millersville University