Build a strong foundation for understanding how medications may help or potentially harm animals. FUNDAMENTALS OF PHARMACOLOGY FOR VETERINARY TECHNICIANS, 2E, follows a body-systems approach making it easy to correlate basic anatomy and physiology with the drugs used to treat diseases of each body system. A strong foundation of drug administration, pharmacokinetics, measurement systems, as well as drug approval and safety provides the concepts necessary to understand drug actions and safe drug administration. A StudyWARETM CD-ROM accompanies the book which provides additional practice via quizzes or games.
1. A Brief History of Veterinary Pharmacology.
2. Veterinary Drug Development and Control.
3. Principles and Methods of Drug Administration.
5. Veterinary Drug Use, Prescribing, Acquisition, and Pharmacy Management.
6. Systems of Measurement in Veterinary Pharmacology.
7. Drugs Affecting the Nervous System.
8. Cardiovascular Drugs.
9. Respiratory System Drugs.
10. Hormonal and Reproductive Drugs.
12. Urinary System Drugs.
13. Drugs Affecting Muscle Function.
16. Anti-Inflammatory and Pain-Reducing Drugs.
17. Drugs for Skin Conditions.
18. Ophthalmic and Optic Medications.
19. Fluid Therapy and Emergency Drugs.
20. Antineoplastic and Immunosuppressive Drugs.
22. Behavior-Modifying Drugs.
23. Herbal Therapeutics.
Appendix A: Unit Conversions and Math References.
Appendix B: Conversion of Body Weight in Kilograms to Body Surface Area in Meters (for Dogs and Cats).
Appendix C: Metric Conversions Guide.
Appendix D: Vitamin Supplements.
Appendix E: Inventory Management.
Appendix F: Managing Animal Toxicities.
Appendix G: Web Sites of Veterinary Pharmaceutical Companies.
Appendix H: Proper Use of Needles and Syringes.
Appendix I: Withdrawing (Aspirating) Medication from a Vial.
Appendix J: Withdrawing (Aspirating) Medication from an Ampule.
Appendix K: Reconstituting a Powder Medication for Administration.
Appendix L: Appendix M: Drugs Listed Alphabetically and Classified by Category.
Appendix M: Dos and Don'ts of Drug Administration.
Appendix N: Euthanesia procedure
Appendix O: Math Review
Appendix P: Drugs used during pregnancy
Appendix Q: Answer Key to text questions
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title's "About" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor's Manual serves as an instructional resource and provides teaching tips or guidelines, and answers to review and test questions.
The Online companion (OLC) provides Image Library, PowerPoint, and Critical Thinking Questions. Our entire library of Online Companions can be easily accessed through http://www.delmarlearning.com/companions/.