Data Communication and Networking, First Edition provides a solid, thorough overview of data communications and networking for Engineering Technology programs. This text covers information for one or more courses spanning digital communication systems, computer communication and networks, and data communications. It is specifically written and designed for engineering and engineering technology learners by using a systematic and visual approach with abundant tables, illustrations, and practical examples making it easy for students to comprehend concepts. Content begins with data communication, signal conversion and issues in data transmission. Each chapter includes an introduction, summary of key information, as well as practice questions and problems with answers. The text also includes coverage of network and network standards, Ethernet, network components and Transmission Control and Internets Protocols (TCP/IP). The integration of applications and laboratory experiments are found throughout the text, making Data Communication and Networking, First Edition a one-of-a-kind and practical text.
1. Characteristics of signal transmission.
2. Signal conversion: Analog signal-to-Digital signal.
3. Signal conversion: Digital signal-to- signal Analog.
4. Signal conversion: Digital data-to-Digital signal.
5. Issues in Data Communication.
6. Network Standards.
7. IEEE 802.3 Standard Ethernet
8. IEEE 802.5 Standard: Token Ring Local Area Network
9. Data Link Layer Protocols.
10. Network Devices.
11. The Transport Control Protocol (TCP) and Internet Protocol (IP).
12. Hand-On Activities for the Networking Part of the Course.