Save money with PRIMARY SOURCE READER FOR WORLD HISTORY, VOLUME II, SINCE 1500! Brief and inexpensive, this primary source reader gives you a broad perspective of the history of the world. Readings are divided into parts covering eras and are organized according to themes such as religion, law and government, and everyday life. Each individual reading has a head note and study questions to guide your reading and understanding of the content.
Part III. RELIGION AND PHILOSOPHY�1500�1750 CE.
Chapter 12. Religion and Philosophy�1500�1750 CE.
103. From In Praise of Folly by Desiderius Erasmus�1509.
104. From The Freedom of a Christian by Martin Luther��1520.
105. From Spiritual Exercises by Ignatius of Loyola�1541.
106. From Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin�1534.
107. From Royal Commentaries on the Incas by Garcelaso de la Vega¬�1609.
108. From Relation of the Things of Yucatan by Bishop Diego de Landa�16th century.
109. "A Muslim Explains the Hindu Religion" by Abul Fazl Akbarnama�16th century.
110. From The Life of Saint Teresa�1611 .
111. "On the Necessity of the Wager," from Pensées by Blaise Pascal�1660.
Chapter 13. Law, Government, and War�1500�1750.
112. From The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli�1513.
113. From Turkish Letters by Ogier Ghiselin de Busbecq�1589.
114. Rules for Peasant Life in Japan�1619.
115. Laws Governing the Military Households by Tokugawa Hidetada�1615.
116. Russian Law Code�1649.
117. From Self Portrait of a Chinese Emperor by K''ang Hsi�1654�1722.
118. The Ideal Muslim Prince, Aurangzeb�1658�1707.
Chapter 14. Science, Medicine, and Technology�1500�1750 CE.
119. From The Two New Sciences by Galileo Galilei�1638.
120. "Problems of Medical Research" from De Humani Corporis Fabrica by Andreas Vesalius�1543.
121. On the Treatment of Gunshot Wounds by Ambroise Pare�1575.
122. The Art of Printing in China by Matteo Ricci�16th century.
123. Prescriptions for Mrs. Lucia Troute by William Harvey�1652.
124. From Opticks by Sir Isaac Newton�1704.
Chapter 15. Daily Life in the Age of Change�1500�1750 CE.
125. From A General and Natural History of the Indies by Gonzalo Fernandez de Oviedo y Valdes�1535�1537.
126. "Marriage Customs in 16th Century Russia," from Notes on Russia by Sigismund von Herberstein�1549.
127. From History and Description of Africa by Leo Africanus�1550.
128. Turkish Women, Turkish Letters by Ogier Ghiselin de Busbecq�1555�1561.
129. On Marriage by Martin Luther�1566.
130. African Women in 17th Century Benin by Samuel Blommaart�1668.
131. From The Book of the Samurai (Hagakure) by Tsunemoto Yamamoto�1716.
Chapter 16. Arts and Culture Age of Change�1500�1750 CE.
132. Four Poems by Michelangelo Buonarroti�16th century.
133. From L''Envoi by Giordano Bruno�16th century.
134. From Hamlet by William Shakespeare�ca. 1600.
135. From "Anatomy of the World" by John Donne�1611.
136. From Book of Travels by Evliya Celebi�17th century.
137. A Modest Proposal by Jonathan Swift�1729.
Chapter 17. Religion and Philosophy�1750�1914 CE.
138. From The Social Contract by Jean Jacques Rousseau�1762.
139. From Treatise on Toleration by Voltaire�1763.
140. On Crimes and Punishment by Cesare Beccaria�1764.
141. From The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith�1776.
142. From The Philosophy of History by G.W.F. Hegel�1832.
143. From The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels�1848.
144. Life at High Pressure by W.H. Gregg�1875.
Chapter 18. Law, Government, Revolution, and War�1750�1914.
145. The Declaration of the Rights of Man�1789.
146. The Declaration of the Rights of Women by Olympe de Gouges�1791.
147. Jamaican Letter by Simon Bolivar�1815.
148. Account of the Emancipation of the Serfs by Prince Kropotkin�1861�1862.
149. The Meiji Constitution�1889.
150. On the Russian Revolution by Vladimir Ilyich Lenin�1899�1917.
151. The Plan of Ayala by Emiliano Zapata�1911.
152. Early Zionist Thought by Nahum Goldman�1913.
Chapter 19. Science, Medicine, and Technology�1750�1914 CE.
153. The Anatomy Lesson by Genpaku Sugita�1815.
154. The First Surgical Operation Under Ether by Crawford Long�1842.
155. From The Origin of the Species by Charles Darwin�1859.
156. Child-Bed Fever by Ignaz Phillip Semmelweis�1861.
157. From The Interpretation of Dreams by Sigmund Freud�1899.
Chapter 20. Daily Life in the Age of Revolution and Empire�1750�1914 CE.
158. The Hai-Lu, A Chinese Seaman''s Account of Europe by Hsieh Ch''ing Kao�1783�1797.
159. From The Interesting Narrative of Olaudah Equiano�1789.
160. An Indian Scholar Describes Calcutta by Nawab Muhabat Khan�ca. 1800.
161. Modernizing Japan''s Economy by Shibusawa Eiichi�1873.
162. From On Japanese Women by Fukuzawa Yukichi�1885.
163. From Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe�1900.
Chapter 21. Arts and Culture�1750�1914 CE.
164. The Dream of the Red Chamber by Tsao Hsueh-Ch''in�18th century.
165. Of Women''s Hair by Lafcadio Hearn�1894.
166. "The White Man''s Burden" by Rudyard Kipling�1899.
167. "Prayer to Thunder," a Navajo Night Chant�20th century.
168. "A Mother to Her First Born (Lango, Uganda)"�not determined.
Chapter 22. Religion and Philosophy�1914�present.
169. From "Existentialism and Humanism" by Jean-Paul Sartre�1948.
170. From The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir�1949.
171. The Labyrinth of Solitude by Octavio Paz�1961.
172. A Theory of Liberation by Gustavo Gutierrez�1973.
173. Liberation Theology by Archbishop Oscar Romero�1979.
174. The Nobel Peace Prize Address by Mother Teresa�1979.
Chapter 23. Law, Government, Revolution, and War�1914�present.
175. The Doctrine of the Sword by Mohandas K. Ghandi�1920.
176. On African Nationalism by Marcus Garvey�1923.
177. "Strength means to excel in the profession of death�" by Sami Shawkat�1933.
178. The First Arab Students'' Congress Manifesto�1938.
179. Problems of China''s Revolutionary War by Mao Zedong�1936.
180. From Mein Kampf by Adolf Hitler�1924.
181. Britain Converts to a Welfare State�1942�1948.
182. The Resurgence of Islam by Hasan Al-Bana�ca. 1940s.
183. The Kenya Africa Union is not the Mau Mau by Jomo Kenyatta�1952.
184. Program for Cuba by Fidel Castro�1956.
185. My Vision for South Africa by Desmond Tutu�1979.
186. The Resurgence of Islam by Ayatollah Murtada Mutahhari�ca. 1980s.
Chapter 24. Science, Medicine, and Technology�1914�present.
187. The First Poison Gas Attack�1915.
188. The Bombing of Hiroshima�1945.
189. Report on the Space Shuttle Challenger Accident by Richard P. Feynman�1988.
190. From Silent Spring by Rachel Carson�1962.
191. From A Scenario for America and the World by Herman Kahn, William Brown, and Leon Martel�1976.
Chapter 25. Daily Life in the Postmodern World�1914�present.
192. Memories of Childhood by Yevgeny Yevtushenko�1938.
193. A Palestinian Exile Remembers by Fawzi Turki�1948.
194. The Age of Women in Japan by Keiko Higuchi�1980.
195. The Revolution that Failed Women by Zand Dokht�1981.
196. A Chinese Peasant Maps His Road to Wealth by Wang Xin�1984.
197. Traditional Versus Nuclear Families in Modern India�1985.
198. The Women of Uganda by Jane Perlez�1991.
Chapter 26. Arts and Culture � 1914 - Present.
199. "Munition Wages," a Musical Parody by Madeline Ida Bedford�1917.
200. "Counter-Attack" by Siegfried Sassoon�1918.
201. From The Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger�1920.
202. From All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque�1929.
203. From Wild Grass by Lu Xun�1927.
204. Poems by Leopold Sidar Senghor�1950s.
205. I Lived to Tell the Horrors of Treblinka�1944.
206. From One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn�1962.
Choose the textbook packaged with the resources that best meet your course and student needs. Contact your Learning Consultant for more information.
ISBN-10: 0495282863 | ISBN-13: 9780495282860
List Price = $277.95