CREATING INTERACTIVE FICTION WITH INFORM 7 is a jargon-free, step-by-step guide to mastering the basics of creating dynamic, text-based story worlds. Inform 7 is a free multiplatform interactive fiction authoring environment that uses an intuitive natural language syntax. A tool focused on writers, not programmers, Inform allows users construct complex, rich storytelling worlds by writing sentences as simple as "Tom is a person," or as complicated as "Instead of attacking Tom when something lethal is held, now every nearby watchdog owned by Tom hates the player." No prior programming experience is required. Throughout the book, readers develop a full-length, release-quality example game, exploring the real-world issues involved in authoring participatory narratives and gaining skills that can be applied to the creation of future games and stories.
Introduction: Why Interactive Fiction?
1. Understanding Interactive Fiction Chapter.
2. Introducing the Inform Application Chapter.
3. Creating a Story World Chapter.
4. Describing the Story World Chapter.
5. Making Things Happen Chapter.
6. Understanding the Player Chapter.
7. Logic and Control Chapter.
8. Time, Scenes, and Pacing Chapter.
9. Creating Other Characters Chapter.
10. Challenging Assumptions Chapter.
11. Polishing and Finishing Chapter.
12. Further Pursuits.