Practical and straight-forward, including all new step-by-step skills, FIRE APPARATUS OPERATOR: PUMPER, 3rd EDITION meets the intent of Chapter 5 of the NFPA 1002, 2009 Edition. Boasting a full-color design with enhanced photos and graphics, the third edition steps the reader through the basics of driving, pump operations and maintenance before moving on to the specifics of hydraulics and the calculations required for on scene operations. With expanded coverage on safe driving practices and driver requirements as well as a special section on rural pump operations, this book is a necessary training manual for aspiring driver/operators as well as a handy resource for practicing pump operators.
Table of Contents
NFPA 1002, Chapter 5 Correlation Guide XVII.
FESHE Correlation Guide XXI.
SECTION I: PUMP OPERATOR AND EMERGENCY VEHICLES.
1. Pump Operator Duties and Responsibilities.
2. Emergency Vehicle Preventive Maintenance.
3. Driving Emergency Vehicles.
SECTION II: PUMP CONSTRUCTION AND PERIPHERALS.
4. Pump Operating Principles and Construction.
5. Pump Peripherals.
6. Hose, Appliances, and Nozzles.
SECTION III: PUMP PROCEDURES.
7. Water Supplies.
8. Pump Operations.
9. Discharge Maintenance and Troubleshooting.
SECTION IV: WATER FLOW CALCULATIONS.
10. Introduction to Hydraulic Theory and Principles.
11. Fireground Flow and Friction Loss Considerations.
12. Pump Discharge Pressure Calculations.
APPENDIX A: NFPA Standards Related to Pump Operations.
APPENDIX B: Sample Generic Standard Operating Procedures.
APPENDIX C: Samples of State Laws for Emergency Vehicle Drivers.
APPENDIX D: Sample Pump Manufacturers' Troubleshooting Guides Appendix E Sample Vehicle Inspection Forms.
APPENDIX F: Charts for Friction Loss, Nozzle Reaction, and Nozzle Discharge.
APPENDIX G: Hydraulics Calculation Information Sheet.
APPENDIX H: Conversion Charts.