Welcome to Game Coding Complete, Fourth Edition, the newest edition of the essential, hands-on guide to developing commercial-quality games. Written by two veteran game programmers, the book examines the entire game development process and all the unique challenges associated with creating a game. In this excellent introduction to game architecture, you'll explore all the major subsystems of modern game engines and learn professional techniques used in actual games, as well as Teapot Wars, a game created specifically for this book. This updated fourth edition uses the latest versions of DirectX and Visual Studio, and it includes expanded chapter coverage of game actors, AI, shader programming, LUA scripting, the C# editor, and other important updates to every chapter. All the code and examples presented have been tested and used in commercial video games, and the book is full of invaluable best practices, professional tips and tricks, and cautionary advice.
1. What is Game Programming Really Like?
2. What's in a Game?
3. Coding Tidbits and Style That Will Save You.
4. Building Your Game.
5. Game Initialization and Shutdown.
6. Game Actors.
7. Controlling the Main Loop.
8. Loading and Caching Game Data.
9. Programming Input Devices.
10. User Interface Programming.
11. Game Event Management.
12. Scripting with Lua.
13. Game Audio.
14. 3D Graphics Basics.
15. 3D Vertex and Pixel Shaders.
16. 3D Scenes.
17. Collision and Simple Physics.
18. Network Programming Primer.
19. An Introduction to Game AI.
20. Introduction to Multiprogramming.
21. A Game of Teapot Wars!
22. A Simple Game Editor in C#.
23. Debugging Your Game.
24. Driving to the Finish.