THE SUCCESSFUL INTERNSHIP: PERSONAL, PROFESSIONAL, AND CIVIC DEVELOPMENT, 4th Edition, offers you more than just a resource for how to find a position or how to interview. It addresses the concerns, emotions, needs, and unique personal challenges that are the essence of an internship or field experience, and focuses on the internship as a vehicle for your development as a civic professional. The authors describe in detail the path of change you'll find yourself embarking on and the challenges you'll face along the way. A four-stage model of the internship process--anticipation, exploration, competence, and culmination--places the material in a meaningful framework that lends structure to your understanding of the work you'll be doing.
Available with InfoTrac® Student Collections http://gocengage.com/infotrac.
Table of Contents
Section I: FOUNDATIONS.
1. The Lay of the Land.
2. Framing the Experience: The Developmental Stages of an Internship.
3. Internship Essentials: Tools for Staying Engaged.
4. Starting with You: Understanding Yourself.
Section II: BEGINNINGS.
5. Experiencing the 'What Ifs': The Anticipation Stage.
6. Internship Essentials: The Learning Contract and Supervision.
7. Getting to Know the Clients: Chapter of Special Relevance to Helping and Service Professionals.
Section III: RHYTHMS.
8. Moving Ahead: The Exploration Stage.
9. Internship Essentials: Advanced Tools for Staying Engaged and Moving Forward.
10. Navigating the Internship Site.
11. Finding the Beat of the Community.
Section IV: CRESCENDOS.
12. Riding High: The Competence Stage.
13. Internship Essentials: Professional, Ethical, and Legal Issues: What's to Know and Why?.
14. And in the End: The Culmination Stage.