1. Science, Psychology, and You.
2. Validity and Ethics: Can We Know, Should We Know, and Can We Afford Not to Know?
3. Generating and Refining Research Hypotheses.
4. Reading, Reviewing, and Replicating Research.
5. Measuring and Manipulating Variables: Reliability and Validity.
6. Beyond Reliability and Validity: The Best Measure for Your Study.
7. Introduction to Descriptive Methods and Correlational Research.
8. Survey Research.
9. Internal Validity.
10. The Simple Experiment.
11. Expanding the Simple Experiment: The Multiple-Group Experiment.
12. Expanding the Experiment: Factorial Designs.
13. Matched Pairs, Within-Subjects, and Mixed Designs.
14. Single-n Designs and Quasi-Experiments.
15. Putting It All Together: Writing Research Proposals and Reports.
Appendix A: Research Report and Proposal Checklist.
Appendix B: Sample APA-Style Paper.
Appendix C: A Checklist for Evaluating a Study's Validity.
Appendix D: Practical Tips for Conducting an Ethical and Valid Study.
Appendix E: Introduction to Statistics.
Appendix F: Statistics and Random Numbers Table.