ESSENTIALS OF INTENTIONAL INTERVIEWING, 2nd Edition delivers a more concise and student-friendly version of the Iveys' bestselling INTENTIONAL INTERVIEWING AND COUNSELING--one in which every sentence and concept has undergone a thorough review to ensure both relevance and clarity for beginning helpers. Accessible to every helping professions student, the text uses an active voice and modular style that allows more flexibility. Its multicultural focus also reflects the diverse nature of today's classroom--and society. The Second Edition retains the authors' renowned Microskills model of teaching students vital interviewing skills step by step. It also integrates the five systems of helping--person-centered, decisional counseling, brief counseling, crisis counseling, and coaching--and includes new content addressing such critical topics as psychoeducational skills and Internet counseling. All-new practice exercises, an interactive DVD, and additional supplements help students develop a deeper understanding of text material. In addition, with its full array of text-specific online study and teaching tools, WebTutor is available with the new edition.
Table of Contents
SECTION I LISTENING TO CLIENT STORIES ON A BASE OF ETHICS, MULTICULTURAL UNDERSTANDING, AND WELLNESS.
1. The Science and Art of Interviewing and Counseling.
2 Ethics, Multicultural Competence, and Wellness.
3. Attending and Observation Skills: Basic to Communication.
SECTION II: THE BASIC LISTENING SEQUENCE AND ORGANIZING AN EFFECTIVE INTERVIEW.
4. Questions: Opening Communication.
5. Encouraging, Paraphrasing, and Summarizing: Skills of Active Listening.
6. Observing and Reflecting Feelings: A Foundation of Client Experiencing.
7. How to Conduct an Interview Using Only Listening Skills.
SECTION III: HELPING CLIENTS GENERATE NEW STORIES THAT LEAD TO ACTION: INFLUENCING SKILLS AND STRATEGIES.
8. The Skill of Confrontation: Supporting While Challenging.
9. Focusing the Interview: Exploring the Story From Multiple Perspectives.
10. Reflection of Meaning and Interpretation/Reframing: Helping Clients Restory Their Lives.
11. Self-Disclosure and Feedback: Bringing Immediacy Into the Interview.
12. Logical Consequences, Information/Psychoeducation, and Directives: Helping Clients Move to Action.
SECTION IV: SKILL INTEGRATION, TREATMENT PLANNING,
AND USING THEORY WITH MICROSKILLS.
13. Decisional Counseling, Skill Integration, Treatment Plans, and Case Management.
14. Applications of Microskills: Cognitive-Behavioral Crisis Counseling and Brief Interviewing and Counseling.
15. Determining Personal Style: Self-Evaluation and the Future.
Learning Resource Bundles
Learning Resource Bundles
Convenient, cost-effective bundles provide additional resources to boost student engagement.
Contact your Learning Consultant for more information.
Bundle: Text + DVD
ISBN-10: 111187073X | ISBN-13: 9781111870737
Bundle: Text + Counseling CourseMate with eBook Printed Access Card
ISBN-10: 1111985758 | ISBN-13: 9781111985752
Bundle: Text + Helping Professions Learning Center 2-Semester Printed Access Card
ISBN-10: 1133074162 | ISBN-13: 9781133074168
Printed Text + Blackboard MindLink for CourseMate Instant Access
ISBN-10: 1285925297 | ISBN-13: 9781285925295