Electronics for Electricians, 6th Edition
- Stephen L. Herman Lee College (retired)
- ISBN-10: 1111127808 | ISBN-13: 9781111127800
- 480 Pages
- Previous Editions: 2007, 2002, 1995
- © 2012 | Published
The Sixth Edition of ELECTRONICS FOR ELECTRICIANS is a practical and relevant guide for anyone preparing for a career in industrial settings. With its updated graphics and increased coverage of important topics, this text helps students understand components and circuits in terms of how they work, what they do, how to use them, and how to test them. Review questions and problems in every chapter expose students to the electronic devices commonly found in industry, as well as the circuit applications of those devices.
1. The Oscilloscope.
3. Power Rating and Heat Sinking Components.
4. Junction Diodes.
5. Light-Emitting-Diodes (LEDs) and Photodiodes.
6. Single-Phase Rectifiers.
7. The Polyphase Rectifier.
9. Special Diodes.
10. The Transistor.
11. The Transistor Switch.
12. The Transistor Amplifier.
13. The Darlington Amplifier.
14. Field Effect Transistors.
15. Current Generators.
16. The Unijunction Transistor.
17. The SCR in a DC Circuit.
18. The SCR in an AC Current.
19. Phase Shifting an SCR.
20. UJT Phase Shifting for an SCR.
21. SCR Control of a Full-Wave Rectifier.
22. A Solid-State Alarm with Battery Backup.
23. The Diac and Silicon Bilateral Switch.
24. The Triac.
25. Phase Shifting the Triac.
26. Other Methods of AC Voltage Control.
27. The Solid-State Relay.
28. The Oscillator.
29. The DC to DC Voltage Double.
30. The Off-Delay Timer.
31. The On-Delay Timer.
32. The Pulse Timer.
33. The 555 Timer.
34. The 555 Timer Used as an Oscillator.
35. The 555 On-Delay Timer.
36. The 555 Pulse Timer.
37. Above and Below-Ground Power Supplies.
38. The Operational Amplifier.
39. The 741 Op Amp Level Detector.
40. The 741 Operational Amplifier Used as an Oscillator.
41. Voltage Regulators.
42. Digital Logic.
43. The Bounceless Switches. Circuit Applications.
44.Design of Circuit #1 (Photodetector).
45. Design of Circuit #2 (Animal Feeder).
46. Design of Circuit #3 (Solid-State Pushbutton Control).
47. Design of Circuit #4 (Electronic Locks).
48. Design of Circuit #5 (Solid-State Thermostat).
Appendix A: Testing Solid-State Components.
Procedure 1: Testing a Diode.
Procedure 2: Testing a Transistor.
Procedure 3: Testing a Unijunction Transistor.
Procedure 4: Testing a SCR.
Procedure 5: Testing a Triac.
Appendix B: Ohm’’s Law Formulas.
Appendix C: Parts List.
Appendix D: Schematic Symbols.
Appendix E: Conversation Factors for Sine-Wave Voltages.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title's "About" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
The Instructor Resources include PowerPoint presentations for each core textbook chapter, computerized test bank, Instructor’s Manual, and other text-specific resources.
Mastering the theory and application of electrical concepts is necessary for a successful career in the electrical installation or industrial maintenance fields, and this new fifth edition of DELMAR’S STANDARD TEXTBOOK OF ELECTRICITY delivers! Designed to train aspiring electricians, this text blends concepts relating to electrical theory and principles with practical ’how to’ information that prepares students for situations commonly encountered on the job. Topics span all the major aspects of the electrical field including atomic structure and basic electricity, direct and alternating current, basic circuit theory, three-phase circuits, single phase, transformers, generators, and motors. This revision retains all the hallmarks of our market-leading prior editions and includes enhancements such as updates to the 2011 NEC®, a CourseMate homework lab option, and a new chapter on industry orientation as well as tips on energy efficiency throughout the tex.