Among Cultures: The Challenge of Communication, 2nd Edition
- includes InfoTrac®
- Bradford J. Hall University of New Mexico
- ISBN-10: 0534642489 | ISBN-13: 9780534642488
- 400 Pages
- Previous Editions: 2002
- © 2005 | Published
Organized around basic questions related to intercultural interaction, this text explores how culture and communication are intimately related. The author explores topics not typically found in other texts, such as the roles of rituals and social dramas, and he provides an extensive and relevant discussion of differing worldviews. Making extensive use of narrative to help promote interest and learning, the text is geared to practical applications which students can incorporate into their own lives and interactions with others.
1. What is Meant by Intercultural Communication?
2. What is the Relationship Between Communication and Culture?
3. How Can We Learn About Our Own and Others' Cultures?
4. How is Culture Related to Our Identities?
5. Where Can We Look to Explain Verbal Misunderstandings?
6. Where Can We Look to Explain Nonverbal Misunderstandings?
7. Why Do So Many People Get Treated Poorly?
8. How Can We Manage Conflict in Intercultural Settings?
9. How Can We Succeed in Our Intercultural Travels?
10. What Diversity Exists in the Study of Intercultural Communication?
11. Can Judgments of Right or Wrong Be Made When Dealing with Other Cultures?
"The (narrative) approach is the main virtue of the book. It enables the students to experience cultures through story-telling, which bring the theoretical concepts to life. I also appreciate the inclusion of Hymes’ framework because it gives the students an ethnographic approach to studying cultures that they can apply immediately."
— Saskia Witteborn, University of Washington
"I love the fresh perspective of this book. I greatly appreciate the narrative basis for this book. The textbook then offers us even more diverse perspectives for gaining that cognitive complexity that helps us refrain from judging other cultures in a negative way."
— Kathleen Glenister Roberts, Duquesne University
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title's "About the Solution" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition. For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.