Crafted from the ground up to be a "brief" U.S. History text (rather than a condensed version of a larger text), WE THE PEOPLE tells the story of America through five recurring, interwoven themes: (1) the role of interacting cultures in the development of the American nation; (2) the social/cultural environment's interaction with political forces; (3) the evolution of a national identity; (4) changing cultural values; and (5) individuals' attempts to impose order on physical place and chronological time. Frequent quotations from individuals at all levels of society make this text well-rounded in its presentation of social and cultural history. In addition, each chapter opens with a story that features a longer quotation that illuminates the topics, events, and themes explicated in that chapter.
WE THE PEOPLE is available in the following split options: WE THE PEOPLE, Complete, First Edition (Chapters 1-30), ISBN: 0534593550; WE THE PEOPLE, Volume I to 1877 (Chapters 1-15), ISBN: 0534593569; WE THE PEOPLE, Volume II, Since 1865 (Chapters 15-30), ISBN: 0534593577.
Table of Contents
1. In The Beginning: The World Of Native Americans.
2. Europe's Quest For Empire In America.
3. Colonial Competition And Cultural Struggle, 1598-1700.
4. The Emergence Of Colonial Cultures, 1675-1765.
5. Patriarchal Politics And The Colonial Crisis, 1689-1776.
6. Independence, Confederation, And The Republican Experiment, 1776-1787.
7. Building A Republican Government, 1787-1800.
8. An Expanding Society, 1801-1815.
9. A Nation Of Regions, 1816-1828.
10. The Politics Of Northern Development, 1815-1840.
11. Slavery And The Southern Economy, 1828-1844.
12. Manifest Destiny And The National Identity, 1844-1850.
13. The Collapse Of The Union, 1850-1861.
14. War For The Union, 1861-1865.
15. Reconstructing The National Identity, 1865-1877.
16. The Triumph Of A National Marketplace, 1877-1893.
17. The Crisis Of The 1890s.
18. Industrial Society And Progressive Reform, 1900-1915.
19. The Corporate Economy And Progressive Politics, 1901-1916.
20. The Search For World Order, 1913-1920.
21. Colliding Cultures Of The 1920s.
22. Hard Times, 1929-1939.
23. The War Against Fascism, 1931-1945.
24. Cold War Society, 1945-1952.
25. A Troubled Consensus, 1952-1960.
26. Advancing A Liberal Agenda, 1960-1963.
27. Disputing The National Agenda, 1963-1968.
28. The "Imperial Presidency" Of Richard Nixon, 1969-1974.
29. An Age Of Limits: The 1970s.
30. Politics In A Multicultural Society, 1981-2000.
Learning Resource Bundles
Learning Resource Bundles
Convenient, cost-effective bundles provide additional resources to boost student engagement.
Contact your Learning Consultant for more information.
Bundle: Text (Comprehensive) + WebTutor on Blackboard
ISBN-10: 0534673643 | ISBN-13: 9780534673642
Bundle: Text (Comprehensive) + WebTutor on WebCT
ISBN-10: 0534673732 | ISBN-13: 9780534673734