This respected text skillfully combines evidence-based interviewing skills and cognitive-behavioral intervention change strategies applicable to a wide range of client ages, cultural backgrounds, and problems in living. The book interweaves attention to conceptual and empirical foundations with an emphasis on practical skills and real-life factors in contemporary settings with diverse clientele. Long commended for its synthesis of up-to-date professional knowledge with case models, learning activities, and guided feedback, INTERVIEWING AND CHANGE STRATEGIES FOR HELPERS: FUNDAMENTAL SKILLS AND COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL INTERVENTIONS, Sixth Edition, is a comprehensive book equally well suited to comprehensive courses and more specialized courses dealing with practice domains such as interviewing, relationship building, and assessment; empirically supported intervention strategies; and topical foci such as stress management, cognitive change interventions, and working with affect management and relapsing populations.
The comprehensive, up-to-date features of this book make it one that students tend to retain for later reference in their professional work. In addition, you now have new options for using the book for more specialized needs: a bound version of the first half of the book for courses focusing on interviewing, relationship building, and assessment (ISBN 0495143928) and a bound version of the second half of the book for courses focusing on empirically supported intervention strategies (ISBN 0495143936). These valuable additions complement a proven instructional format focusing on essential knowledge, skills, values, and tools needed by today's professional helpers.
Table of Contents
1. About this Book.
2. Building Your Foundation as a Helper.
3. Understanding Nonverbal Behavior.
4. Ingredients of an Effective Helping Relationship.
5. Listening Responses.
6. Influencing Responses.
7. Conceptualizing and Assessing Client Problems, Concerns, and Contexts.
8. Conducting an Interview Assessment With Clients.
9. Identifying, Defining, and Evaluating Outcome Goals.
10. Clinical Decision-Making and Treatment Planning.
11. Imagery and Modeling Strategies.
12. Reframing, Cognitive Modeling, and Problem Solving Strategies.
13. Cognitive Change and Cognitive Restructuring Strategies.
14. Stress Management Strategies.
15. Meditation and Relaxation Strategies.
16. Exposure Strategies.
17. Self-Management Strategies: Self-Monitoring, Stimulus Control, Self-Reward, and Self-Efficacy.
18. Strategies for Working With Resistance: Solution-Focused Therapy and Motivational Interviewing.
Learning Resource Bundles
Learning Resource Bundles
Convenient, cost-effective bundles provide additional resources to boost student engagement.
Contact your Learning Consultant for more information.
Bundle: Text + Helping Professions Learning Center 1-Semester Printed Access Card
ISBN-10: 0495636878 | ISBN-13: 9780495636878
Printed Text + Helping Professions Learning Center 2-Semester Instant Access
ISBN-10: 1305603079 | ISBN-13: 9781305603073