The seventh edition of this superb lab manual offers 36 class-tested experiments, suitable for introductory, preparatory, and health science chemistry courses and texts, including INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY: AN ACTIVE LEARNING APPROACH, Fourth Edition by Cracolice and Peters. Experiments in this lab manual teach students to collect and analyze experimental data and provide them with a strong foundation for further course work in general chemistry. This edition offers instructors a wide variety of experiments to customize their laboratory program, including many microscale experiments. All experiments can be completed in a three-hour laboratory period. As in the Sixth Edition, there are Work Pages for each experiment as well as Report Sheets for students to take notes and record experimental data and results, which facilitate instructor grading of experiments.
Table of Contents
SAFETY IN THE LABORATORY.
1. Properties and Changes of Matter (m).
2. The Chemistry of Some Household Products.
3. Separation of Cations by Paper Chromatography (m).
4. Densities of Liquids and Solids.
5. Simplest Formula of a Compound (m).
6. Hydrates (m).
7. Percentage of Oxygen in Potassium Chlorate.
9. Chemical Names and Formulas: A Study Assignment.
10. Chemical Equations: A Study Assignment.
11. Mole Ratio for a Chemical Reaction (m).
12. Types of Chemical Reactions (m).
13. Qualitative Analysis of Some Common Ions (m).
14. Separation of Cations.
15. Molecular Models: A Study Assignment.
16. Molar Volume of a Gas (m).
17. Molar Mass Determination by Freezing-Point Depression.
18. The Conductivity of Solutions: A Demonstration.
19. Net Ionic Equations: A Study Assignment.
20. Titration of Acids and Bases—I.
21. Titration of Acids and Bases—II.
22. Determination of a Chemical Equation.
23. A Study of Reaction Rates.
24. Chemical Equilibrium (m).
25. Measurement of pH with Indicators.
26. Introduction to Oxidation-Reduction Reactions (m).
27. Organic Nomenclature.
28. Hydrocarbons and Alcohols.
29. Aldehydes, Ketones, and Carboxylic Acids.
31. Preparation of Aspirin.
32. Preparation and Properties of a Soap.
35. Amino Acids and Proteins.
1. Significant Figures.
2. Dimensional Analysis.
3. Avogrado's Number-Moles.
4. Formula Writing.
5. Equation Balancing-Types of Reactions.
7. Atomic Structure.
11. Acids and Bases.