About The Solution
The seventh edition of this superb lab manual offers 36 class-tested experiments, suitable for introductory, preparatory, and health science chemistry courses and texts, including INTRODUCTORY CHEMISTRY: AN ACTIVE LEARNING APPROACH, Fourth Edition by Cracolice and Peters. Experiments in this lab manual teach students to collect and analyze experimental data and provide them with a strong foundation for further course work in general chemistry. This edition offers instructors a wide variety of experiments to customize their laboratory program, including many microscale experiments. All experiments can be completed in a three-hour laboratory period. As in the Sixth Edition, there are Work Pages for each experiment as well as Report Sheets for students to take notes and record experimental data and results, which facilitate instructor grading of experiments.
Additional Product Information
- Duplicate Work Pages and Report Sheets for each experiment offer a convenient and efficient way for students to record their data as they work and yield clean, easy-to-grade reports.
- Advance Study Assignments, to be completed before performing the experiments, require students to read the experiment before executing the lab, thus enabling them to complete the experiment in a safe and timely fashion.
- Sample Calculations are presented to acquaint the student with the type of calculations they will be required to perform for the experiment.
- The lab manual features a variety of experiments for inorganic and organic chemistry so that it may accompany many different chemistry textbooks from introductory inorganic chemistry to allied health chemistry.
- Laboratory and safety procedures are addressed in each experiment, as well as disposal methods, performance goals, chemical overview with key terms, and expanded coverage of experiment procedures.
- The new edition features 11 worksheets covering the major topics of introductory chemistry. The worksheets can be used to enhance the lab experience or as supplementary homework. Complete solutions are available in the Instructor's Manual.
- The Seventh Edition also features four new experiments: "Experiment 27: Organic Nomenclature," "Experiment 30: Esters," "Experiment 34: Lipids," and "Experiment 36: Enzymes."
- Several experiments have also been revised to provide clearer direction and more detail in the Procedure section.
Table of Contents
SAFETY IN THE LABORATORY.
1. Properties and Changes of Matter (m).
2. The Chemistry of Some Household Products.
3. Separation of Cations by Paper Chromatography (m).
4. Densities of Liquids and Solids.
5. Simplest Formula of a Compound (m).
6. Hydrates (m).
7. Percentage of Oxygen in Potassium Chlorate.
9. Chemical Names and Formulas: A Study Assignment.
10. Chemical Equations: A Study Assignment.
11. Mole Ratio for a Chemical Reaction (m).
12. Types of Chemical Reactions (m).
13. Qualitative Analysis of Some Common Ions (m).
14. Separation of Cations.
15. Molecular Models: A Study Assignment.
16. Molar Volume of a Gas (m).
17. Molar Mass Determination by Freezing-Point Depression.
18. The Conductivity of Solutions: A Demonstration.
19. Net Ionic Equations: A Study Assignment.
20. Titration of Acids and Bases—I.
21. Titration of Acids and Bases—II.
22. Determination of a Chemical Equation.
23. A Study of Reaction Rates.
24. Chemical Equilibrium (m).
25. Measurement of pH with Indicators.
26. Introduction to Oxidation-Reduction Reactions (m).
27. Organic Nomenclature.
28. Hydrocarbons and Alcohols.
29. Aldehydes, Ketones, and Carboxylic Acids.
31. Preparation of Aspirin.
32. Preparation and Properties of a Soap.
35. Amino Acids and Proteins.
1. Significant Figures.
2. Dimensional Analysis.
3. Avogrado's Number-Moles.
4. Formula Writing.
5. Equation Balancing-Types of Reactions.
7. Atomic Structure.
11. Acids and Bases.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title’s "About the Solution" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
Online Instructor's Manual
(ISBN-10: 0495114987 | ISBN-13: 9780495114987)
Custom learning materials let you create a digital or print course solution in the style and format best
for you and your learners. Maximize engagement and achieve desired outcomes with the aid of our academic and
digital experts, who have years of experience helping instructors customize material to specific course needs.
Create your custom solution »