This refreshingly current, best-selling text provides a highly readable, chronological examination of the roots and history of American popular music, from 1840 to the present. The focus is on basic music fundamentals as well as the elements of each style; the heritage and diversity of popular music; the underlying kinship among its many styles; and the evolution of popular music from minstrel show music to rap and alternative. The text's opening chapter introduces students to the elements of popular music through a familiar musical example.
The text is available with an exclusive, high-quality "heritage" 3-CD set that contains each selection discussed in depth in the first two thirds of the book: from the early twentieth century through the 1960s. The remaining examples may be accessed via online iTunes and Rhapsody playlists (or from the student's music collection). When packaged with the text, the CDs are available at a substantial discount.
Additional Product Information
Table of Contents
1. A Matter of Style: Describing Popular Music.
2. The Beginnings of American Popular Music.
3. The Emergence of Black Music.
4. Popular Song in the Modern Era.
5. The Swing Era.
6. In from the Outskirts: Blues, Gospel, Country, and Folk Music, 1925-1950.
7. Latin Music in the United States.
8. On the Charts, 1945-1954.
9. Rock 'n' Roll, 1954-1964.
10. The Rock Revolution: Rock and Black Music in the 1960s.
11. Reactions to Rock: Established Styles in the Early Rock Era.
12. Rock and R&B in the 1970s.
13. Funk, Reggae, Disco, Punk: New Trends of the Late 1970s.
14. Electronica and Rap.
15. Beyond Rock: Pop, Rock, and R&B in the 1980s.
16. Alternatives: Alternative, Heavy Metal, and Grunge after 1980.
17. A World of Music: Popular Music at the Turn of a New Century.
Best Buy Packages
Other Popular Packages
Choose the textbook packaged with the resources that best meet your course and student needs. Contact your
Cengage Learning representative for more information.
Bundle: Text + Resource Center Printed Access Card + 3-CD Set
ISBN-10: 0495776246 | ISBN-13: 9780495776246
List Price = $264.95
| CengageBrain Price = $211.49
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $196.26
This Bundle Includes:
Popular Music in America: And The Beat Goes On
List Price = $144.95
| CengageBrain Price = $115.49
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $107.00
List Price = $120.95
| CengageBrain Price = $120.49
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $89.25
Resource Center Printed Access Card
List Price = $25.95
| College Bookstore Wholesale Price = $19.25