About The Solution
History doesn't have to be dull, and this text is living proof with coverage of interesting topics ranging from the controversial use of IQ tests at Ellis Island to the psychodynamics of gum chewing. A market leader for over 30 years, A HISTORY OF MODERN PSYCHOLOGY has been praised for its comprehensive coverage and biographical approach. Focusing on modern psychology, the book's coverage begins with the late 19th century. Successfully avoiding dry narrative, the authors personalize the history of psychology not only by using biographical information on influential theorists, but also by showing you how major events in those theorists' lives have affected the authors' own ideas, approaches, and methods. Substantial updates in this edition include discussions of evolutionary psychology, cognitive neuroscience, and positive psychology. The result is a book that is as timely and relevant today as it was when it was first introduced.
Additional Product Information
- Reviewers praise the authors' ability to tell the history of psychology in a way that avoids dry narrative. In part, this is because A HISTORY OF MODERN PSYCHOLOGY personalizes the history of psychology--showing students how events in the lives of influential theorists and researchers affected the authors' ideas, approaches, and methods.
- The beginning of each chapter opens with a "teaser," a brief narrative built around a person or event designed to introduce the major theme of the chapter. These sections immediately define the subject matter and convey to the student that history is about real people and real situations.
- The In Their Own Words sections provide original writings by the key figures in the history of psychology, presenting in each theorist's distinctive personal style (and the style of the times) a unique perspective on psychology's methods, problems, and goals.
- Strong pedagogical features include discussion questions at the end of each chapter, which form the basis for writing assignments for students, and running margin glossaries and chapter opening outlines that help with chapter review.
- Original primary source excerpts are featured in the book to eliminate the need for outside readings--providing extra value for students.
- A thorough update of all subject areas, especially more recent movements in psychology, includes more than 180 new references.
- Coverage of new topics in cognitive psychology includes embedded cognition, cognitive neuroscience, neuroprosthetics, evolutionary psychology, animal personality and intelligence, artificial intelligence, and unconscious cognition.
- A new introduction to Chapter 1 shows the relevance of the past to the present by discussing similarities in the results of two experiments that explore the concept of "multi-tasking." One is a classic study from 1861 and the other is dated 2009.
- New biographical material is presented on William James, Sigmund Freud, Herbert Spencer, James McKeen Cattell, Alfred Binet, Henry Goddard, Ivan Pavlov, John B. Watson, Abraham Maslow, Carl Jung, and other important figures.
- A multitude of new topics, research, and findings includes current developments in positive psychology, the psychodynamics of gum chewing, the influence of video games on dreams and on behavior, social self-efficacy and the modeling effects of viewing violence on television and in video games, and the dominance of psychological research by psychologists at universities and laboratories in the United States, leading to the question: Can the results of these findings, influenced by American culture and using Americans as subjects, be generalized to people in other parts of the world?
- Discussions also cover the controversial use of IQ tests at Ellis Island, New York, to process immigrants to the U.S.; psychological testing in World War I; the stunning change in the role of clinical psychology as a result of World War II; the contributions of Charles Darwin to psychology; the contemporary relevance of Wilhelm Wundt's research on the personal equation; John B. Watson's behaviorist child-rearing techniques and their effects on his family; and the variability hypothesis, or the functional inequality of women--the idea that men were inherently intellectually superior to women.
Best Buy Packages
Other Popular Packages
Choose the textbook packaged with the resources that best meet your course and student needs. Contact your
Cengage Learning representative for more information.
Bundle: A History of Modern Psychology, 10th + Custom Enrichment Module: Careers in Psychology: Opportunities in a Changing World, 3rd
ISBN-10: 1133157890 | ISBN-13: 9781133157892
List Price = $272.95
| CengageBrain Price = $217.99
Table of Contents
1. The Study of the History of Psychology.
2. Philosophical Influences on Psychology.
3. Physiological Influences on Psychology.
4. The New Psychology.
6. Functionalism: Antecedent Influences.
7. Functionalism: Development and Founding.
8. Applied Psychology: The Legacy of Functionalism.
9. Behaviorism: Antecedent Influences.
10. Behaviorism: The Beginnings.
11. Behaviorism: After the Founding.
12. Gestalt Psychology.
13. Psychoanalysis: The Beginnings.
14. Psychoanalysis: After the Founding.
15. Contemporary Developments in Psychology.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title’s "About the Solution" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual with Test Bank
(ISBN-10: 1111353689 | ISBN-13: 9781111353681)
Streamline and maximize the effectiveness of your course preparation using such resources such as Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides, web links, and other ideas in your classroom. This manual contains step-by-step teaching guides for each chapter of the text.
(ISBN-10: 1111353735 | ISBN-13: 9781111353735)
Create, deliver, and customize tests and study guides (both print and online) in minutes with this easy-to-use assessment and tutorial system. ExamView® offers both a Quick Test Wizard and an Online Test Wizard that guide you step-by-step through the process of creating tests. You can even see the test you are creating on the screen exactly as it will print or display online.
Online PowerLecture Slides
(ISBN-10: 1111353727 | ISBN-13: 9781111353728)
These ready-to-use Microsoft® PowerPoint® slides allow you to assemble, edit, publish and present custom lectures for your course. The slides include text-specific lecture outlines and selected figures and tables from the text.