Table of Contents
1. Laboratory Techniques: Use of Laboratory Gas Burner; Making Laboratory Measurements.
2. Density Determination.
3. Separation of the Components of a Mixture.
4. Resolution of a Mixture by Distillation.
5. The Empirical Formula of a Compound: The Law of Constant Composition.
6. Determination of the Formula of a Metal Oxide.
7. Classes of Chemical Reactions.
8. Chemical Properties of Consumer Products.
9. Calorimetry: The Determination of the Specific Heat of a Metal.
10. Boyle's Law: The Pressure-Volume Relationship of a Gas.
11. Charles's Law: The Volume-Temperature Relationship of a Gas.
12. Properties of Gases: Determination of the Molar Mass of a Volatile Liquid.
13. Physical Properties of Chemicals: Melting Point, Sublimation, and Boiling Point.
14. Solubility and Solutions.
15. Water of Hydration.
16. Factors Affecting Reaction Rates.
17. The Law of Chemical Equilibrium and Le Chatelier's Principle.
18. pH and Buffer Solutions.
19. Analysis of Vinegar by Titration.
20. Analysis of Antacid Tablets.
21. Structure in Organic Compounds: Use of Molecular Models I.
22. Stereochemistry: Use of Molecular Models II.
23. Column and Paper Chromatography: Separation of Plant Pigments.
24. Classification and Identification of Hydrocarbons.
25. Classification and Identification of Alcohols and Phenols.
26. Classification and Identification of Aldehydes and Ketones.
27. Properties of Carboxylic Acids and Esters.
28. Properties of Amines and Amides.
29. Polymerization Reactions.
30. Preparation of Acetylsalicylic Acid (Aspirin).
31. Isolation of Caffeine from Tea Leaves.
33. Fermentation of a Carbohydrate: Ethanol from Sucrose.
34. Preparation and Properties of a Soap.
35. Preparation of a Hand Cream.
36. Extraction and Identification of Fatty Acids from Corn Oil.
37. Analysis of Lipids.
38. Separation of Amino Acids by Paper Chromatography.
39. Acid-Base Properties of Amino Acids.
40. Isolation and Identification of Casein.
41. Properties of Enzymes.
42. Neurotransmission: An Example of Enzyme Specificity.
43. Isolation and Identification of DNA from Onion.
44. Viscosity and Secondary Structure of DNA.
45. Beer's Law and Standard Curves.
46. Tyrosinase Enzyme Kinetics.
47. Quantitative Analysis of Vitamin C Contained in Foods.
48. Analysis of Vitamin A in Margarine.
Appendix A: List of Apparatus and Equipment in Student's Locker.
Appendix B: List of Common Laboratory Equipment and Materials in the Laboratory.
Appendix C: Special Equipment and Chemicals.
Appendix D: Spectrometers.
All supplements have been updated in coordination with the main title. Select the main title’s "About the Solution" tab, then select "What's New" for updates specific to title's edition.
For more information about these supplements, or to obtain them, contact your Learning Consultant.
Instructor's Manual Online
(ISBN-10: 0495391972 | ISBN-13: 9780495391975)
Available for download on the instructor companion site. Contains answers to pre- and post-lab questions and lab set-up information.